Gas mileage in 94 Cherokee

Hello..I have a 1994 Cherokee with the inline 4.0 V6..It`s all basically stock as it came from the factory...Are there any little things I could maybe change or do to increase my mpg a bit?..I know it`s basically a big heavy box so there`s not a lot I can do but since I drive a lot on the weekends (All highway) even 2-3 mpg would add up..Change tire size?..Disconnect the front drive axles since it`s summer?..Loose the tow bar since I never use it?..Thanks for any tips!

Reply to
Sara Brown

Hi Sara, I think that all of the things you mentioned might help. By lightening it you will save fuel simply because it isn't working as hard. I used to yank the front driveline on my old Chevy truck for that very reason.

Of course, there is always the obvious, properly tuned, nice clean air filter, proper tire inflation, ... my mind goes blank.

I know what you're going through, mine only gets 11.6 these days. Same engine. Damn, it hurts to see it in print like that. The lift, bigger tires and the wind dragging light bar knocked an easy 4mpg off.

Good luck to ya.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon ______ /l ,[____], l-L -OlllllllO- ()_)-()_)--)_)

The shortest distance between two points, is a lot more fun in a Jeep!

Reply to
Kate
55-60 mph maximum speed. Bet you didn't want to hear that. If you put bigger tires on it that will probably hurt your fuel mileage. You haven't said which transmission and axle ratio combination you have, but most of the combinations are wrong. If you regear for performance it may actually improve mileage, but I don't think the expense is warranted. If you have Command Trac or part time four wheel drive, things are cool. The expense of locking hubs probably wouldn't justify any gas savings you would realize. Maintain proper tire pressure, and make sure your brakes aren't dragging. If you have Selec-Trac or full time four wheel drive, make sure you use the two wheel drive position.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

How many MPG are you getting?

My 95 XJ gets about 13-14 city, and 19 on long highway trips. If I really try, I can sometimes get 15 mpg around town. (FYI to the group, it hasn't changed much after my 4.5" lift, but I still have the same tires, 235's. Update coming soon.)

(95 XJ I6 Auto Part-time 4WD 4.5" Rough Country Lift)

noneofyourbusiness

New O2 sensor if it's still original. You could open up the exhaust with a cat-back. All depends on how much you enjoy working on jeeps.

Take the tow bar off, it's just dead weight. You can also try running with just a 1/2 tank of fuel to cut even more weight. Not that I think all the ideas are sane, but google "hypermiling"...

That's about right for the I6. Currently the ZJ gets 18 highway and 15 city

Keep in mind my Jeep isn't stock either. :) You can see when I installed the blower.

Reply to
DougW

The what? ;-)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
SBlackfoot

It's that military intelligence... Or maybe that jumbo shrimp.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

New O2 sensor if it's still original. You could open up the exhaust with a cat-back. All depends on how much you enjoy working on jeeps.

Take the tow bar off, it's just dead weight. You can also try running with just a 1/2 tank of fuel to cut even more weight. Not that I think all the ideas are sane, but google "hypermiling"...

That's about right for the I6. Currently the ZJ gets 18 highway and 15 city

Keep in mind my Jeep isn't stock either. :) You can see when I installed the blower.

Reply to
DougW

I just rechecked mine yesterday... ugh.

It hurts to even put it in print.

10.6 mpg. Is that f*cked up or what!?

Ok, so I have a 4" lift, 33's, the drag of the light bar and the added weight of the winch but c'mon! This is really depressing.

Guess I'll have to , well, I don't know what "ill have to do but I have to do SOMETHING.

K.

Reply to
Kate

ROFLMAO! I had to look at this three or four times before I caught it. A case of "I know what you meant, now what you said"

Funny

K.

It's that military intelligence... Or maybe that jumbo shrimp.

Reply to
Kate

I'm still getting 25 mpg in my Jeep Wrangler and 45 mpg in my Honda Civic. I drive the Civic most times. After installing the 33s did you correct the speedo? You may be actually getting better than you think, like maybe 12. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Probably that lead-loaded shoe on your right foot ;)

Or do the gals still go barefoot in your part of the hills?

Seriously, my wife gets at least 3 mpg less than I do when she drives my Jeep. She keeps commenting on how well it jumps away from the lights compared to her Saturn...

Reply to
Will Honea

A Prius with a tow bar?

Reply to
Lon

Mine is pretty consistent with about 20 to 21 MPG.

I've got a 60 mile round trip commute every day and had to do something... so last week I bought a 71 Super Beetle! Of course I still have my good old Cherokee and will be driving it when summer really gets here, the VW doesn't have AC.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Try a brand other than Jeep, take a look at Schwinn....

Reply to
XS11E

"Earle Horton" wrote I'm still getting 25 mpg in my Jeep Wrangler

** Earle... have I told you lately, that you are a rat fink?

and 45 mpg in my Honda Civic.

** Yea... well.. rice... apples and oranges.

I drive the Civic most times. After installing the 33s did you correct the speedo? You may be actually getting better than you think, like maybe 12. ;^)

**Sure did, and it clocks out just fine with the locak "radar warning sign" that they place just before the speed traps here in town. Any other ideas?

K.

Reply to
Kate

"Will Honea" wrote

Probably that lead-loaded shoe on your right foot ;)

**Usually I drive with my cruise, and not too lead footed because it tends to be horribly TERRIBLY gutless. Have to pass on a down hill slope with a tail wind. Most of the driving around here is 55, 40 mph.

Or do the gals still go barefoot in your part of the hills?

** Not me, not too often. I imagine some of them do but not being a native I even still have all of my own teeth.

Seriously, my wife gets at least 3 mpg less than I do when she drives my Jeep. She keeps commenting on how well it jumps away from the lights compared to her Saturn...

**LOL, well I DID find out that I can get scratch in reverse a couple of days ago - on blacktop even. Completely by accident. It surprised the heck out of me.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Try a brand other than Jeep, take a look at Schwinn....

Reply to
Kate

What the heck do you have for gearing in that thing? I have the old 4.0 with the Rennix computer in my 88 MJ and I don't even bother with 1st gear when I get down below about 4000' - even 5th is usable there. Now, that engine is a good 20-25 hp below what the Mopar 4.0 has and I've got 3.07 gears in the diffs so either you're running with 35's or you need a tuneup!

I spend a good bit of time in a smaller town in central Texas where even a VW bug would chirp - I have no idea what they put in the pavement but it sure boosts the ego.

The MJ has Trac-loc in the rear end (and it still works!). With that really light back end, I get slippage on hard turns all the time.

Reply to
Will Honea

That's why they invented tube sand. 3.07 is just a little bit extreme, engineered by simple-minded fools who believed that the slower your engine was turning, the less fuel it was using. If you really want economy you will get to 80% or so of the power band and stay there. When I worked in the Dodge garage in the late 70s fuel crisis times, one of the most popular upgrades was to rip out the factory gears and install something more reasonable. I don't remember anyone complaining of gas mileage getting worse.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton