Gauges read high

93 YJ 4cyl - 121K miles

Any thoughts on the following?

My gas gauge has always read high, my temp gauge seems to be reading higher in the cold weather than it did in the summer my oil pressure gauge is nearly pegged whether the engine is hot or cold (it only drops slightly at idle), and my voltmeter has always read 16-17 volts since I bought it in May. Could the excessive voltage be causing the other gauges to read high, or are they just crummy gauges?

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Dana Rohleder did pass the time by typing:

Well, for starters, 16-17 V is too high so something is wrong. First thing I'd check is the engine ground strap.

The oil pressure pegging could be a corroded connector or a serious problem. The sensor gets its ground through the engine so we are back to checking your engine ground strap.

Gas gauge is a different animal. Some Jeeps read high. It could be a bad connection or somone didn't adjust the tank float properly.

Reply to
DougW