GC 2001 - rusting rear lift pistons

our son was looking around our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and noticed a couple of things.... I'll post in separate msgs.

The rear tailgate lift pistons are showing peeling/rust on the outer sides, not the inner facing sides.

I'm guessing this is due to snow, rain, etc on the roof, draining back and down the rear lift gate sides and out the rear bumper area ?? Anyone else seen this effect ?

Reply to
Phil Schuman