GC 4wd on highway

My son borrowed our Grand Cherokee for a trip to Michigan. He had it in full time 4wd for the snowy/icy local areas. But - he forgot to dis-engage when he hit the highway. SO... what ill elffects should I look for with the jeep running in 4wd full tine on the highway at 50-70mph ??

tnx -

Reply to
ps56k

Nothing except for burning a bit more fuel. :)

Full time is not what you are thinking it is. I have the Quadratrack which is a full-time unit; meaning it operate in full-time mode on all surface.

part-time is for off-road use only.

Some reading:

DougW

The terms "full time" and "part time" were always counter-intuitive to me as well.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Exactly what I told my wife when she was recently looking for a GC. The one she found had the Selecttrac with the 2wd option, but she ended up getting another YJ with about half the miles on it than the one she's been driving.

"No, dear, I don't want the GC with the power everything, compass, thermometer and cruise. I'd rather have this '95 soft top Wrangler 4 cyl/5sp. You can drive my '94 with the 6 cyl."

No wonder I've been married to her for 33 years.

Reply to
Old Crow

Not sure if your question got answered...if your GC has selectrac, driving it in full time mode wet or dry should not harm it. Larry

Reply to
Larry

What makes you think there will be _any_ ill effects? Full time 4WD is exactly that, full time. My '97 doesn't _have_ a two wheel drive mode.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not necessarily even that. Audi did some research a while back and found out that running in 4wd does something interesting to the tire dynamics that, on the Quattro they were experimenting with anyway, reduced the rolling friction a little bit, just enough to offset the increased transmission losses from running in 4wd so it actually got very slightly _better_ mileage in 4wd.

Dunno if GCs work the same way.

Reply to
J. Clarke

tnx all - with various things breaking over the years, wasn't looking for something major.

Off to downtown Chicago - it's 50 outside - and it was just down in the teens with 4" of snow !

Reply to
ps56k

pass. :) Enjoy and take care.

I was in Schaumberg a few weekends back when that big snow storm came through. Turned the streets into a skating rink and shut down O'Hare.

Planned on going downtown but the snow turned to cold blowing rain and it's a bit of a hump from the Metra down to the main drag. So I spent a few hours kicking around Woodfield and buying stuff.

Reply to
DougW