good aftermarket radiator for '96 XJ

The radiator in my '96 zj 6cyl larado (130k miles) had developed a leak. My mechanic says the core is shot and wants $500 to replace it with a new OEM part. I'm thinking of doing the job myself but I want to put in a quality part. Are there any aftermarket radiators that will give reliable service and save me some $$$ or is the OEM part the best way to go.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
maleemi

That "OEM" part is almost certainly made by an "aftermarket" supplier. Talk to your local NAPA, Autozone or Checkers and see what they can get for you. Call a radiator specialty shop and find out if the dealer is kidding you on the price.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I just checked Autozone's website and those radiators are selling for between $150 and $200 depending on warranty.

I'd get one with a good warranty, flush out the engine and put on new hoses, belt, and maybe water pump while I had it apart.

Jeff DeWitt

Earle Hort> That "OEM" part is almost certainly made by an "aftermarket" supplier. Talk

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Check radiatorbarn.com and the all aluminum radiator. No crimp on plastic sides, fully welded.

Reply to
DougW

If you paint it when new, the paint will help with the corrosion, but not much. :(

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

So how do you figure on mounting an aluminum radiator????

It would need all new hardware with rubber or plastic inserts to isolate it totally from touching any steel parts. That included the steel bolts holding it on.

If it touches steel, it will get a hole burned through it really fast from electrolysis.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike,

Not everyone lives in the rust belt. ;^) Otoh, lots of these guys like to ford creeks, and aluminum (British sp. aluminium?) is excessively soft, won't hold paint, and is a bear to solder.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Actually it should be spelled "aluminium. The university (Harvard?-I don't remember for sure) that first isolated it applied for a patent but accidently left out the second "i" on the application. As a result, the official US spelling is "aluminum."

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

When I first bought my YJ with 189K on it (now 214K) the radiator was just falling apart (original). I opted for the radiatorbarn.com 3 core metal radiator, a new water pump, thermostat and all new hoses including the heater hoses. It was very easy to do.

Reply to
Peter Parker