Good floor jack for '91' XJ?

I'm looking for a good floor jack for a '91' XJ that hasn't been lifted. I'm tired of using the cheezy stock jack. If anyone can recommend a good floor jack and a place to get it, I'd appreciate it.

Wblane

I've had good luck with a Craftsman 2.5 ton (?) floor jack and jack stand set I got on sale at Sears several years ago for ~$100. Others i've spoken with prefer the compactness of a hydraulic bottle jack- you can almost fit one in the stock emergency jack location under the back seat.

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Chuck Bremer did pass the time by typing:

Got myself a 3 1/2 ton hydraulic floor jacks. When you get one be aware there are serveral levels of quality. The best ones can be rebuilt. The cheap "made in china" ones can't and are usually welded up.

The one I have has a replaceable head. You can slide on a tranny mount or a frame mount (cup or pin).

A few places

DougW

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby, go check out their floor jacks. For the $$$, they can't be beat. A friend gave me a 6 ton from HFT years ago, he already had one just like it, and we are both very happy with them after much use over the years.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Good point. I'd almost forgot about bottle jacks, they are a lot easier to work w/than a full size floor jack (since I can work my floor stands around the bottle jack). Any recommendations for bottle jacks? Obviously I want one that can crank the Cherokee off it's wheels so it's gotta be able to crank up to 4' or so right?

Wblane

Ditto on the harbor frieght jack but only get it on sale. For like $39 you can get a 2.5or 3 ton jack. Yes it's not as good as the 2 ton Sears I got in

1979 for $179 but convert 79 dollars to 2004 dollars and figure how many HF ones I could get for the same amount. Also their 3 ton jack stands work real well on Cherokees because they have a wide stance.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Well, you can keep it at my house, but beyond that I can only suggest that you get something that can support somenting in the range of 3 tons. Your Jeep is nowhere near that heavy, but the part ofthe jack that actually does the lifting is very small on the lesser jacks, but at about the 3 ton capacity, it gets large enough that you won't always be looking for a block of wood.

Reply to
CRWLR

If your J**P is stock height (stock shocks and wheels/tires) then you will need a jack to lift at least 21 inches high ( I believe its 18.5 inches front and 19.5 inches rear). I bought a 3 1/2 ton 23 inch lift floor jack last year, it is one of the greatest buys I've made to date way better then my bottle jack and is much more stable then the bottle jack.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

What am I missing?

I have 3 floor jacks. All cheapies. all of them will lift either my Cherokee or my CJ7 with 33" tires. I use the axle tube ends as a jacking point. My jack only needs to move 2 or 3" to get a tire off the ground.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain