Goodbye YJ, Hello TJ!

Just picked up an '02 Wrangler Sport with 36,000 miles on it... traded in my

95 Wrangler Rio Grande with 150,000 miles on it. It was a very reliable vehicle for many years but the time came to upgrade.

First of all I'm loving the new Jeep. Some real nice refinments compared to the 95 that I drove for 7 years. This post does have a purpose though... Where the hell is the switch to turn on the auxilary driving lamps that Jeep mounts on the bumper? Are they wired into the high beam circuit? The dealer I bought it from never sold a Jeep before and were clueless. That's their loss.

I will always own a Jeep because I love the versatility and overall fun of drive the Wrangler. I'm sure more questions will follow.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

John, Jeepin' since 1990.

02 Wrangler Sport 4.0 L - 5 Speed Soft Top - Hard Doors (Now I'm really spoiled cause the windows don't Zip anymore.) On Order - Installations brackets for my ham radio rig and 5/8 wave 2 meter antenna from
jgrobert

mine are wired into the high beam. Easy for you to test that though - just jump outside :-)

Dave Milne

The switch is on the very end of the of the headlight switch. When you turn on the headl lights pull the end toward the drivers door it is magic.

Reply to
Coasty

Found it, Thanks. I was looking all over the place for a rocker switch, what the hell.

Reply to
jgrobert

... and when you turn on the high beams your aux lights turn off, just so you know that. DC has decided in their wisdom that one cannot have both of these on at the same time (sheesh).

There is a fix for this problem however if you wish to be illuminated both up and down and see everything better. I attach an old post from Bill that I saved that discusses how to fix this below. Also here is a link that someone else posted some time ago that discusses this: Note that this says pin #2 where Bill says pin #1. Hmmm. I have not done this yet so I am not sure which is right so pick your answer from these. Hope this helps, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Tomes did pass the time by typing:

Actually in most US States (all if I'm not mistaken) it's the regs on vehicle lighting.

(not that anyone actually enforces it)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

I'm in Washington state by the way...... Robb

Robb S wrote:

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ya gotta be careful with that wiring. Cops do safety blitzes and they check lights.... If you have certain lights stock, they better work stock or you better have a 'good' reason.

Stock you have 'fog' lights. By regulation these are supposed to turn off with the high beams.

If you convert to 'driving' lights, they are supposed to turn off with the low beams. If your driving lights are pushing 100W or larger, they need covers for street use because they are off road only lights.

Nothing looks stupider than these fools that drive around on clear days or nights with fog lights on or the total idiots that put driving light bulbs in them and drive around with the low beams and these two spot lights on.

My old roommate got nailed for having 'driving' lights turned on with his low beams while driving up Yonge St. in Toronto. Yes, he was one of those idiots that liked them on. He believed me it was a no no after that.....

Mike

Tomes wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I used to tap into the low beam circuit for my fog light relay so they would come on automatically.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Did the same thing when I first drove a TJ. Had to give up and RTFM.

Steve

jgrobert wrote:

Reply to
Steve