Goodyear "Assurance" on YJ

Anyone have ideas about putting these Goodyear "Assurance" 205 -70R15 tires on a

94 YJ?

TIA, Capt Purple

Reply to
Captain Purple

In article , Captain Purple wrote: #Anyone have ideas about putting these Goodyear "Assurance" 205 -70R15 tires on a 94 YJ? # #

#TIA, #Capt Purple # #

Kinda small... Also, do you ever intend to leave pavement?

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Must be one of those punk kids with the skinny lowrider style tires, whiney coffee can mufflers, and the sort of subwoofer that says, "PLEASE SHOOT ME"...

Grumman-581

from my exp good year suck... i always go with gfgoodwrench. also yoou know with jeeps you want to increase the tire size not reduce it right?

Reply to
Jon

I thought it might be a good experiment for awhile since I have another vehicle that they will fit on, and the size that's available is the same as the (ahem) stock OEM. More than 10 years ago I tried the original Aquatreds on a 6 cyl jeep in the wettest part and season in Florida and quite honestly the difference between them and a set of typical wrangler T/A's was astonishing.

But you do have a point about leaving the road.

I didn't want to put anything on there that looked like a passenger car tire...

Hey, good bit about the kid with the subwoofer. Duh, I build subs for houses but guess what - I don't have one in my car. Heck, I don't even have a radio in my car. How sick is that?

Capt. Purple

Reply to
Captain Purple

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well, those Goodyear tires that you posted the link to definitely look like passenger car tires... Lowrider passenger car tires no less...

I've run mudders in quite heavy rain and I haven't found them to be inconvenient enough that I would consider changing them on my XJ... As long as the lugs are still fairly tall, it seems that they give the water a place to go and work out ok... The main thing is to just pay attention to how the car feels when the water is starting to pile up on the highway... My limiting factor is the amount of water that my windshield wipers are able to move off my windshield... I usually have to slow down because of lack of visibility before hydroplaning becomes a problem...

You might be interested in knowing that aircraft do not use the fancy treads like in the link to the Goodyear tires that you posted and they have to withstand higher speeds initially on a possibly very wet runway... Here's a link with some photos of the various Goodyear aircraft tires...

Dayum... There's home for ya' yet...

Reply to
Grumman-581

I figure that if I can't hop a curb with the tires on my Jeep or truck, there's just not enough rubber between the rim and the road... I've got 20" rims on my truck (Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad-Cab), but with a truck that big, they seem about right... They're not low profile tires and there's a lot of rubber between the rim and the road... You see some of these people these days put the low profile tires on rims that are too wide... Apparently they don't realize that if they scrape a curb, it's going to be the rim that is scraping, not the tire... If they have to hop a curb, they'll probably dent their rims... Grace's WJ came with 17" rims and tires that were too small... First time she had to hop a curb to avoid someone who pulled out and into her lane, the rims were seriously scratched... I replaced the tires with ones a bit wider and taller so that the tire would scrape the curb first if she does it again...

Reply to
Grumman-581