Got our 3rd Jeep, a second old XJ

A gent I helped out with his YJ a while back dropped by the other day asking if I wanted another XJ. It's a silver 87 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed with 385K Km on it. Some type of upscale package on it? Chrome grill, electric doors and window that actually seem to all work, standard seats at least. Nice wrap around buckets too. It has a full instrument cluster which is nice. No working FM on the stock Jeep stereo same as our existing one. LOL!

No tires on it, but the body isn't too rotted out. No dents or dings. Glass is all good. It has all the floorboards still! Some bottom of the door and rocker panel rust because it has those stupid running boards on it. Exhaust isn't old. Got the oil in the air filter syndrome with only a totally blocked CCV line (I checked) as the cause usually.

It seems to run well. I want to make one good XJ out of the two. I do have 3 engines now to play with and tons of new stuff on the 88. An extra 258 with what appears to be a recent rebuild and 135k original miles on it anyway, it just leaked like a sieve and a 4.0 with only 300K from the 88 that still runs sweet. Hmm... stroker, hmm......

Price was right... A hundred bucks....

Mike

Mike Romain

So many Jeeps...so little time! =)

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Congratulations!

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Our 88's body is pretty much done. No door bottoms and the skins are holy, no rocker panels, no floorboards, no rear quarter panels, dead rad, cracked windshield, etc... And when I say 'no' I mean air where steel used to be....

The 87 is like our 88 was 5 years ago. Still recoverable fairly easily.

It will need emissions though. Our 88 has had it's last emissions already.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike,

I sounds as if you need to take a road trip to the Southwest United States, where intact vehicle bodies of all description are still to be found. A hundred miles to the south of me, it hardly rains at all. Further south, one finds vehicles, where the paint has all but been burned off by the UV, but without a spot of rust.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

We have it pretty bad up here... My 258's oil pan actually rusted out and I had to replace it! Not the first oil pan I have had rot out either...

I can keep a drivetrain going for a long time, but the cops frown on 'Flinstone style' floors and fenders flapping in the wind....

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Yup, I get excited when I see something that still has floorboards and not too many holes I can stick my fist through. LOL!

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In the northeast Ohio area, salt is king and I hate it! The cities around here salt EVERYTHING! It really is ridiculous. Tons of salt are wasted on every dinky little side street in and around all the Cleveland suburbs. It never ceases to amaze me how much unnecessary salt is used. Talk about pollution!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Frank Jackson buys the city's salt from a relative?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Probably, although I'm not sure how much salt Cleveland proper uses. Cleveland is broke, and many times it takes days after a snow storm, just to get the side streets plowed. Cleveland city services are terrible. I was referring to the suburbs which use way too much salt.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

"Mike Romain" wrote : Our 88's body is pretty much done. No door bottoms and the skins are : holy, no rocker panels, no floorboards, no rear quarter panels, dead : rad, cracked windshield, etc... And when I say 'no' I mean air where : steel used to be.... : : The 87 is like our 88 was 5 years ago. Still recoverable fairly easily. : : It will need emissions though. Our 88 has had it's last emissions : already. : : Mike

Dang, and here I was whining about an itty bitty rock chip LOL Sounds like a great project, i bet you will have a lot of fun restoring it.

You're going to post photos, right?

Reply to
Kate

Timothy Hagen, Jimmy Dimora, and Peter Jones authorize the purchase of salt from the family.

Reply to
Billy Ray

In my part of Colorado, we would use salt, but the rest of the state wouldn't understand. Since our town and county lives off of rural community welfare (some call it "grants") all we can get "for free" from the state, is sand. When the sand, ice and snow pack together, it makes a reasonable road surface. Most of our drivers, including the tourists, respect its "special" vehicle handling characteristics.

We do use magnesium chloride, a less corrosive kind of salt, in the summer, to keep the dust down on our unpaved roads. I imagine that the Boulder/Denver tree hugger cartel will put an end to that soon too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Same here in Tennessee Tom. All they have to do is hint at snow or ice and they load em up. It takes a long time for it go go off the roads though. Funny, it doesn't affect the vegetation.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I remember when they used to use waste oil to hold the dust down on roads. Man, there's a trip in the way back machine.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Type in "road salt" in a search engine, and you will get so many contradictory opinions that you can't make head or tail of it all. One fellow even claims that it causes cancer. It doesn't affect the vegetation Back East, because there is so much rain, that it washes it all away. I have seen it used, on Snoqualmie Pass, WA, in such heavy doses that it does kill a strip of vegetation, perhaps twenty feet wide, on each side of the road. This is in most cases ordinary table salt, or the mineral version of the same. Table salt doesn't kill people, or does it? I have reduced my own consumption of the stuff, but I still can't resist sprinkling it on pizza.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton