GPS systems

I am looking to purchase an entry level easy to use GPS System, we usually go to Connecticut every weekend and are looking for alternate ways when traffic rears its ugly head. I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and have narrowed the list to Magellan

3000 and the Garmin C330. I am leaning to the Garmin C330, but would love to hear what other Jeep owners have to say.

Thanks Ed (NY and CT)

Reply to
Firebird

Coasty

I was hoing you would get a lot more replies as I was also looking at GPS', mine would be for off road though, something I could track my course and follow it back out.

Reply to
Greg

Things in this world are relative. If you live in NYC, Connecticut is "off road", way off road. :^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think I'll watch this thread also,,, after almost getting lost at the Pipeline I need to have something better than a compass whilst wiggling through new trails - PLUS my brother took me geocaching the other weekend - it was a blast

I've heard good things about the Garmin brand.

Reply to
paul

I use the Garmin E-map in my Jeeps. I use the E-trex when I go hiking. Pretty simple and easy to use. I can also interface the E-map with my laptop when I go on road trips. I have the Maptech software in my laptop so I can get a decent idea where I am.

chris

Reply to
J. C. Duchock

I have a Garmin EMap unit. It works really well. I can load maps into it and store them on a memory stick. They sell topo and extremely detailed maps for them. I checked them online and it has all the gas, food etc located.

I have only used the default North American map and it covers all the numbered highways and main lakes and towns. I can locate myself pretty close in the bush by knowing where the lakes and boundary roads are or I could just take the GPS numbers and transfer them to my topo map for exact position or buy the expensive on screen map...

So far we have used it 3 times other than just for the 'toy' factor. Once the major highway was blocked and we found an alternate route, one other was to find a river in the bush and the other time was in the bush when I was looking for a cabin. The GPS told me I was getting too far from one lake so I knew I was on the wrong trail. I thought so and used the GPS to check.

I don't rely on it in the bush. I have a compass in my kit and always know the main road's north/south track and am pretty good with direction. Anything electronic is prone to fail 'just' when it is needed most.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I have the C330 (Europe version).

It has better maps (MapQuest) than the Tom Tom or Navquest, and probably a better GPS receiver ; I have had none of the GPS losing signal problems that my friends have reported with their Tom Toms. The intelligence of the software is very good - the map detail is spot on, and the routing intelligent. Minor street names are presented to you as you reach them to save cluttering up the screen, and this is also done better than on the Tom Tom or Navquest. You can choose between a 3d view or a 2d traditional North is up, or 2d up is ahead of you view. It can now do custom Points of Interest ( I have the UKs speed camera database in mine and it alerts whenever I approach one too quickly). The speakers are quite audible in a Jeep - the unit is practically all speaker. The touch screen is great.

However, there are some serious downsides:

a) you don't get told your latitude/longitude, so it is useless offroad, and if it doesn't know what your road is called, usually because it is very small, then breaking down on "unnamed road" is not the best directions to give to the breakdown rescue people. b) it doesn't do breadcrumbs, so you can't follow your way back. c) it doesn't do route planning - you can't enter a number of waypoints for example.If you need to do a via, you have to plan that as two trips, but since the last 50 selections are held, that doesn't take a long time to program. d) Postcode searching in the UK is a bit fiddly - it only does partial postcodes, then it is up to you to choose the street. A full postcode uniquely identifes a street, the C330s level only identifies an area a couple of square miles.

Being picky a) there are no phono-outs for a louder speaker. The built in one is loud enough, so this isn't much of a downside b) the screen is a bit reflective. Nothing else is better, but a brainy designer would have put a cowl around it.

Hope this helps. I wouldn't recommend it for offroad use, but it works well at getting you from a to b using a sensible route.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Firebird did pass the time by typing:

I use a now fairly old eTrex Vista by Gamin. The only drawback is you have to buy street level maps, but it's a nice unit.

The newer ones are much better. Get one with a USB connector and check the map prices.

Reply to
DougW

Oh, and the other annoying thing about the C330 is that you don't get the MapQuest CD with it. (You do if you get the C320). btw, they ream you for the SD cards - 80 bucks FFS for a 256 card ??

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I own the Garmin GPS60 model and like it a lot, used primarily for hunting and hiking the Montana backcountry.

The unit comes with the Mapsource software, which is nice, but do download and install the Google Earth software,
It is simple to use and map out and download/upload tracks and waypoints, and to keep track and review where you have been and your favorite backcountry spots. It is a wonderful item to have along on a trip and I love mine, but they still cannot replace a good ol' compass and topo map. They will also temporarily loose their signal whenever you are in the heavy timber under a thick tree canopy.

But if you will only be using it for alternate road routes in and around the city, then this unit may not be for you.

Good luck. Terry

Terry Jeffrey

I have used both Magellan and Garmin as well. I will never concider a Magellan again unless they make some major changes. Before you buy look at the E-trex line of Garmins.

Reply to
Rusted

The Tom Tom definitely has more features - I believe it can do waypoint routing, and also integrate with your Mobile phone if that is important to you. I do like my Garmin unit though, despite its deficiencies in features.

Dave Milne

What would be for the Middle East and the desert out here

Thank yo

Nadi

-- nelkhour

View this thread:

Send from

nelkhour

nelkhour proclaimed:

Haven't seen anyone mention Cobra yet. Are they any good, or was their old CB era their finest hour?

Reply to
Lon