Grand Cherokee grinding noise while turning

I have an 02 JGC Ltd with a Quadra-Drive transfer case (full time four-wheel drive) with 50k miles on it. When turning, I feel a vibration and hear a grinding noise and I can't quite tell if it's from the front or rear of the vehicle, but I suspect the front since it only occurs when turning. The grinding gets worse with sharper turns, like turning into or out of a parking space, but also occurs with shallow turns (doesn't require the wheel to be turned to the max). The noise isn't continuous, but rather comes in short 1- or 2-second pulses. In my mind, this grinding is different than the binding that a part-time

4x4 vehicle would do on dry pavement because the Jeep still drives fairly fluidly through the turn; but I could be wrong on this. My question is: where should I look for possible issues and what are the common culprits? The transfer case was just flushed and re-filled with new fluid (NV247) and I plan to change out the front/rear diff fluid soon.
Reply to
mshamilto

Check the CV boots (or U joints) on your front axle. Popping is the sound a worn CV joint makes.

Lift the front end up and turn the wheels by hand. You can usually feel any slack.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the suggesstion. I changed the front and rear differential fluid and the problem is 98% fixed (still makes a slight sound, but only at full turn now which I can deal with). Maybe the previous owner didn't have the friction modifier in the differentials like Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler recommends?

Reply to
Marc