Grand Cherokee Oil Pressure

Man, I'm having a go with my Jeeps this month.

We also own a 94 Grand Cherokee 318 V8 and have often noticed the dip stick accuracy seems to be sensitive to shut-down time and vehicle angle.

Last week it showed 1 Qt low so I added one. A couple of days ago I checked the oil level and it is showed ONE OVER and the oil pressure gauge shoots right over to max pressure after startup and doesn't waver from max until the engine shuts down. We don't know when the gauge began reading max only...

I've drained one liter- clean oil- no water... Changed the filter - the old one came out EMPTY... Still the gauge shoots and stays at max.

There are no rattles and the engine runs as always before- perfectly.

What do you think: sender unit or something serious like a partially spun bearing?

Reply to
jim.c.christiansen

They all are. Especially when it's cold outside.

When you check oil level make sure you wait at least 10 min after shutdown of a warm engine. That ensures all the oil has drained down. 1 qt over shouldn't be a problem, just don't do it all the time. I check oil level in the morning before heading out.

By empty, do you mean bone dry or slightly filled. That can be the bypass valve being cocked up inside the filter. Stay away from Fram filters, they are not good oil filters.

Pegged pressure without a dead engine tells me your sender is shot. Time to get a new oil pressure sender, but first check to make sure the wire hasn't been knocked off the sender. Should run about $31 at NAPAonline or chryslerpartsdirect.

Reply to
DougW

vbeergoggles.com

One qt over is ok? Won't that cause foaming and lack of lubrication?

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

It's darn close, once the engine is running the Jeep's oil pan is sufficent to handle the extra quart without getting in contact with the crankshaft. Wouldn't make it a habbit though.

Reply to
DougW

My wife has a 06 Grand and our mechanic overfilled it by about a quart. I called him the day after, he came to my house personally to check the level, said we prolly shouldn't drive it, and had us bring it in to his shop so they could drain some of it. Well I own a 95 Wrangler that I do ALL the maintenence on, and fiqured letting my local mechanic change the oil in our Grand(not these instant oil change places) would be ok. Well, it pays to do it yourself.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Tends to be true of pretty much every vehicle. Possibly one with oil pan baffles might be less likely to be thusly sensitive.

Before you panic, swap the pressure sensor. They're cheap and notoriously fragile.

Then panic.

Reply to
Who Cares