Grand Cherokee with KYB shocks

I just wanted to share my experience with the new shocks. My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a pretty nice ride. However, when going through some curves it had a tendency to feel as though it was going to tip over, so I'd slow down. When I stopped the car would bow forward a bit. A tech looking at my tires said one of my shocks had a leak.

I ended up researching shocks absorbers. My friend told me about KYB Gas-A-Just ($48 at Tirerack.com). They sounded good. I also looked at Edelbrock IAS shocks, but they're about $20 more each. Plus there were quite a few comments in the usegroup about how they're nice in the beginning, but after a few miles they failed or stop being nice. I checked the other manufacturers that everyone mentioned, but again, they were more expensive and there were some users with problems. The only consistent manufacturer that got praises or recommendations were the KYB shocks. So, I purchased those.

I installed them myself without jacking the truck up! Unfortunately it took longer than I had anticipated because the bolts were frozen in most places. Very, very irritating. The old shocks were very easy to compress once they were expanded. It's probably because they're 90,000 miles old. The new ones were definitely very hard, very hard to compress in comparison (as they should would be).

Anyway, the verdict on the Gas-A-Just? Well I didn't really feel a huge difference initially the first time I drove the Jeep with the new shocks. However, now that I have more miles on them I'm really starting to appreciate the stability and drive more and more. The truck doesn't bow forward when stopping hard and the best part is that the truck is pretty level when taking corners. In fact, I didn't feel secure turning a corner or going into the on-ramp relatively fast because the body would lean and I felt it would tip over. The truck now feels very secure when driving. I'm really, really happy with the purchase and would highly recommend the KYB shocks.

Reply to
nathantw

Why do you call it a truck ??????

Reply to
James

Because a Jeep is a truck by definition.....

Mike

James wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I was curious to how the KYB's stood up...my buddies parts store jus started sellin' them... I myself just upgraded the suspension on my '95 ZJ and went with the Skyjacker Nitro's that were recomended to me as they are best on heavy vehicle and told I wouldn't like 'em on my TJ as it's not really heavy enough for those shocks...but the ZJ drives better than it ever has...The Skyjackers give it a really nice firm ride..I also took the front springs and put them in the rear and went with 4" RockKrawler coils in the front, RockKrawler adjustable track bar...it wasn't necessary but I replaced all the control arms with some beefy BDS adjustables (very sweet!) a few other lil' mods ;) All together it gave her 5" of lift and the JEEP has never had a better ride...my wife even lets me drive it now and then ;)

Jeff '03TJ & '95ZJ

Reply to
4X4PLAY