Grand Wagoneer Steering

My '84 GW power steering became jerky, and I thought it was due to low fluid. I filled the fluid reservoir, and that seemed to solve the problem for a short while, but now the PS seems to loose authority and turn jerky on tight, slow turns, anytime the engine is hot. It seems not as bad when the engine is first started.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
randallbrink

First thing to check is the belt tension. Sometimes they squeal like a stuck pig when they are too loose, but not always.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

How is the condition of the fan belt?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

The fan belt "looks" good--it seems to be at a proper tension; however, if that is suspect, I would be happy to change it out, to avoid trouble.

Randall

Reply to
randallbrink

I check them by taking a cold off engine and seeing if I can hand slip the pulley under the belt. If I can the belt has become polished up and won't grab under pump load. This happens to older V belts a lot or ones that see mud or dirt. (liquid sandpaper)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike:

Thanks very much. This makes sense, and I will do the check on a cold engine. It may be time for a complete belt replacement anyway, and this sounds like the problem, with it getting worse on a hot engine.

Randall

Reply to
randallbrink

One can always hope for the cheap fix anyway. Good luck.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Genrally though when belt slips there is a squeal with it. It is likely a problem with pump ot steering box if there is not belt squeal. When oil is cold it is thicker and would tend to have higher pressure hence boost even if leakage was present in pump or box vs when fluid is hot and thin.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

That is the sneaky part of a mud or sand polished belt and the reason for the above quick test, they don't make noise....

We see this all the time on vehicles that off road. When getting muddy regularly we go through 3 or more sets of V belts a year. Even the serpentine ones can get polished up.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

For a cheap and easy test, try belt dressing. If it fixes it you know the problem and the belt dressing fix will probably last a couple of weeks or so....

Reply to
XS11E

I have had a simular problem with My 79 J20 in years past and when it did it the belt "talked" Now it does it some because steering box is worn out (or leaking internally) as pumpis still good. Just another thing on the list of things to do when I restore it one day. If he had access to a gauge he could pressure test the pump to see it it is weak. GM power steering units used on that year Jeep are usuually pretty reliable but they can wear out.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I will try the dressing, to confirm. I have no objection to replacing the belts, as it is probably time, but would like to do the job on my schedule, not the belts.

Randall Brink

Reply to
randallbrink

If you replace belts get a "cogged" belt design to replace it. They tend to grip better and run cooler too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan