Grand Wagoneer Trailer package

I posted this question before, but didn't really get an answer, so will try again: What constitutes a "trailering package" on a 1987 Grand Wagoneer, and what are the indications that the GW is so equipped?

As a secondary question, I am contemplating pulling a 23' travel trailer, and want to know how to interpret the Owner's Manual data, which is confusing, as to how much weight can be towed.

hanks to any who are able to provide help with this.

Reply to
randallbrink

The factory towing package should include a different gear set with an axle ratio of 3.31:1, heavy duty cooling, heavy duty alternator, a transmission oil cooler and an electrical connector mounted beneath the rear bumper towards the left. Also a "heavy duty flasher."

For the 3.31 gears the code "B" should be cast into the left side of the differential housing.

The factory Class III setup should have a round 7-pin plug receptacle, and the installed hitch should be a Jeep 2" receiver-type hitch. There was also a factory Class II towing package which would have a different hitch and a flat electrical connector.

The towing capacity depends on whether you have a Class II or III hitch.

What is confusing about the data in the Owner's Manual?

Reply to
Apple2Steward

Thanks very much for this very detailed information. It was exactly what I needed. My Wagoneer appears to have all of the elements of the Towing Package, except that the receiver hitch is not a Jeep OEM product.

The confusion was strictly to do with my lack of unsertanding of the delineation of the "Class I, II and III" in the trailering capacity table of the Owner's Manual. I believe I fully understand it now.

Again, many thanks for this very useful information.

Reply to
randallbrink