Grrr.... I'm an idiot!

Went duck hunting out in the middle of nowhere this weekend and managed to lock my keys in my Cherokee. Why I was locking my Cherokee.... I have no idea..... force of habit I guess. Having never really been a believer in using a hide-a-key, I got to bash the back window out with a rock. I will say those windows are suprisingly tough. My rear windows are split and I broke the smaller one out. Took quite a few whacks to smash it in.

Can't wait to see what this is gonna cost me today!

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

twaldron

This is why I have two keys hidden on the exterior of my Jeep, plus a spare key in my wallet. Especially out in the boondocks is where locking your keys inside is gonna happen.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Yeah, I was 10 miles from the nearest anything. There may have been a few drilling rigs within a couple miles. But we were almost two hours from where I live. So gettting a spare out there was next to impossible. Not to mention my cell phone was sitting in my center console.... locked in the vehicle.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Yeah but did ya get any ducks?

Reply to
<Skip>

I got 5, my buddy got 3. He gave me his three, probably felt sorry for me. We coulda got more but didn't feel like cleaning any more.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
twaldron

Western Colorado. We hunted sorta near Meeker, an area called Piceance Creek. Plenty of ducks in the areas we hunted.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

I'll never had this issue in the soft top Wrangler... ;-) ...but I still keep a spare key in my wallet.

Reply to
Daniel Melameth

Thats the funny part, I actually keep a spare ignition key in my CJ-7, in the soft top door. But not on my Cherokee.

I was able to find a used replacement window on my luch break (after calling every salvage place in town). Only cost $32.50. I got off easy! Lowest quote on a new one was $182.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

If you have a couple of screwdrivers handy, you can pry the window out without destroying it. But, it sounds like I am a few hours late on offering this helpful advice.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

As a spelunker, finding ones self deep in the mountains of Mexico with out your car key is a bummer (or here at home on MooMesa Ranch is almost as bad). I do the same, wire or screw a spare key underneath and forget about it. No zip ties either, been there done that. And magnetic key boxes, yeah right, as if.

Reply to
Jeepers

The rear door. It comes on a frame. The Haynes manual just shows removing a few screws to get the door panel off and then it should just be the two screws that hold the frame to the door. Anything you have that says differently is appreciated. I know I've found the Haynes manual pretty vague in the past.

From now on I'll have a spare. But no magnetic box, I had one of those fall off years ago. Probably why I didn't use them anymore.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

There are some hanging around the nuclear power plants in the output hot water pools.....

Hmm... maybe nuts....

Wouldn't want to eat them though.

Had duck 2 days ago, a farmed one.

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Redge Egder
12 gauge shotgun. If you are reffering to shooting out my window, sure it would have broke the window.... and the one on the other side... and tore up my seats.... and the rest of the interior. I figured a rock was a little better tool for the job.

It didn't end up costing me as much as it pobably should of, so I got off easy. Now I just need a good duck recipe.

impossible.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Is that from a Haynes manual. It's a little more updated than mine, but a few of the same illustrations.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle