Half Hardtop on a CJ7

Hi all, I have an 83 CJ7 and was wondering if a half hard top from a Scrambler would fit on a CJ7. Also, are there any after market producers of Half Hardtops for the CJ7?

I want this to fit with Full Hard doors for winter time driving and I don't like the full hard top as an option. Too big and bulky.

Thanks for any help, comments, or suggestions.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

This one's on Ebay right now... looks like a dealer though.

Eugene Casinias

Well, I don't want to buy the whole jeep just to get a half hard top :-). Looks, though, like the vertical bar on the roll bar on a cj8 allows for the half hard top as it is vertical with no slope. This is different from the CJ7 which has a degree of slope. So in this case would the Roll bar on the CJ7 need to be modified to allow the CJ8 Half Hard top to fit?

Thanks,

Bill

egory=6280

Reply to
William Oliveri

The roll bar on the CJ8 doesn't come into contact with the hard top. Maybe the CJ8 roll bar mounting point is positioned further back than a CJ7's. You need space for the lower portion of the top (the part that mounts to the floor), and maybe the CJ7's start too close.

You may want to take a look and some measurements against a CJ8 before you buy. I have a feeling the CJ7 roll bar would interfere with the lower portion of the hardtop.

Reply to
Michael White

Looking at one of the pics, it appears the rollbar ends about at the end of the top of the wheelwell. An older CJ "sportbar" (the one that also bolted through the side of the body) would probably work. You also might want the one that rises at 90 degrees vs. the one that leans back. -G

> egory=6280

Reply to
Eugene Casinias

CJ-8 half tops will fit a CJ-7. However, if your 7's roll bar goes to the floor forward of the rear area step down, it will interfere with the 8 half top. You'll need either the bars that only mount on the fenderwells, or you'll need to make a new bar.

The biggest problem you'll have is the lower part of the half cab. There is a metal divider that goes across the back to separate the front and back. This IS NOT part of the half cab. It is a separate piece.

Other than that, the 7 and 8 are identical. Doors will work no problem.

Finally, if your 7 has shoulder belts, you will likely have to be creative if you want/need to retain them. The '82 (IIRC) and up 8 half tops did include shoulder belts (mine has them). There is a hole in the half top that allows a bolt to pass through and screw into the roll bar.

I can send you picts of the 8 if you need details or measurements.

Reply to
Clap Trap