hard to shift on cold engine - new clutch?

Hello all,

I have a 97 wrangler, 6 cyclinder, 5 speed. I just picked it up used from a private owner. 70k miles, original clutch.

On a cold engine, shifting is difficult, sometimes hard to get into gear and a little grindy. After the engine has warmed up and I've shifted through the gears a few times, things go smoothly.

Is this normal? Comments?

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve

try changing the tranny fluid-the same was happening to my cj before i changed the fluid. it could be that the tranny fluid is cold until the running engine warms it up. it then becomes less viscous (gets thinner) and allows you to shift. i noticed a big improvement after the fluid change.

Reply to
serg