Hard top wiring harness

Hi guys, just got a hard top for my 97 TJ - originally with soft top only - I am wondering if I need to buy the whole "wiring harness package" to connect the rear wiper and defrost from a 3rd party vendors or the 97 supposed to be coming already wired? let me know cheers, Dimitris

Reply to
d_darlac

I just did this with my 99 TJ. Got the harness from

. One snag I ran into is that I bought a harness for my 99 Jeep, but my top came from 03 or 04 model. The connector from the harness does not match the one on the top. I am looking for the best way to either make an adapter or splice in a new matching set of connectors. One word of advice....carefully track how you take things apart and then put them back, especially the wiring connectors behind the instrument cluster. That one can be put back in up-side-down and cause your IP to stop working...ask me how I know.... ;-)

Jerry S.

99TJ Sport
Reply to
Jerry Slaughter

Been there & done that! Easiest way is to get the connector on the end of the wiring harness which matches the year of the top you are installing. They are available as a part numbered item from DCX. Get into the dealer's electrical parts book and don't give up. Next step is remove the connector from the in-vehicle harness matching the year of your vehicle. Now install the wires from the vehicle-year harness into the connector from the top-year, and it will work perfectly. Your top might have a different setup for interior lights from your Jeep, however that's easy to fix once the basics are working (RWDefogger, Rear Wiper, Rear washer, etc.) Mine was a 97 top to a 2003. Luckily the 2003 came with the in-vehicle harness, but the connectors would not match. Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace