Hardtop Hoist

Can anyone reccomend a good CJ7 hardtop hoist?

Reply to
Joe

Made my own out of angle iron welded up into a "H", and hooks. Then a cheapo Harbor Freight hand winch ($15) to pulleys set into the ceiling on a 2x2 plate. Strong as hell, works a champ. Don't piss away money on a catalog version.

Reply to
Desert YJ

I made a table out of saw horses and plywood. When I want to take the top off I back the YJ up to the table, and slide the top off onto it. This is a one man operation in a pinch. When it is time to put the top back on, there is usually a bunch of stuff stored inside of it though. :o( I tried one of those hard top hoists once, and it sucked.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Agree with the Harbor Freight winch, works great!

Paul Cordes

And here are some plans that use that winch:

I've been using this lift for over 5 years so I don't remember what everything cost, but a quick shopping list would be:

Harbor freight winch $30 4 ratchet straps $15 2 garage door pulleys $10 1 4' perforated tube $10 1 can goopy red stuff $ 5 Misc pieces & parts $15 Scrap steel & a few minutes welding $free

or

6 pack for buddy with welder (the good stuff) $10

Just guessing at the prices so that is just a ball park figure. But it will lift any top you've got. I use mine for both my Jeep and truck top. It works great for both of them.

Dean Glanville (The guy with the welder. Don't be bringing me no cheap beer!)

Reply to
Dean