Hardtop storage Question(s) - advice needed!

I live in an apt with a 1.5 car garage. I have a few questions about storing my hardtop from my 2005 Jeep Wrangler since warm weather is approaching (cant wait!).

First, is it ok to store the hardtop on its side? I was thinking just laying down some 2x4s and laying it sideways on them. Is there any weight or structural issues by doing this?

Second - I have seen a storage cart thing so to speak which stores the hardtop verticle (rear window side down) - anyone used these things? Do they work ok?

And...lastley - has anyone make a storage rack out of 2x4s or say PVC and have any plans to share?

Thanks so much for any help!

Eric

Reply to
rumorhazzit69

Probably no issues, though I'm not sure I'd do it with my top.

Something else you might want to consider is just hanging the top from the garage rafters. (That is if the landlord won't get upset with a hole or two.) That's where mine is stored during the summer. It hangs for months at a time without any issues.

Here's a link to my plans for a top lift:

Then I found this link. I really like the technique they use to attach the top to the lift. The webbing looks much simpler than my method. That said IMO they want way too much money.
Dean

Dean

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I hung mine from the rafters using a winch, some 2x4's running along the bottom edges with styrofoam padding, and a set of ratchets. Worked like a charm and if you situate it right, you can drive the Jeep right underneath and just lower it on top in the fall. I wouldn't advise storing it on the side or anywhere on the floor as they aren't able to take much force if anything hits it, falls onto it, or if it slips somehow. If you do store it on the ground and can't store it flat on the edges, I'd put it on the back window ...I've seen two stored like that and if they are wedged at the right angle it seems to minimize stress. But I wouldn't recommend it. Cheers.

Reply to
griffin