Harmonic balancer tool

According to Bills website you should use a harmonic balancer installation tool to put the balancer back on. None of the local stores I checked had such a thing (Auto Zone, Advance, Northern Tool), but they all had pullers.

Where do you get this tool? Would any local place be likely to carry one or is this something only available through mail order? I see Moroso has one but it's kind of pricey for something I'll rarely use.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

AutoZone loans them out.

Picture here.

DougW

And here I thought that was what the bolt in the center was for!

Actually, I had a bolt with the right threads that was maybe an inch longer than the original bolt. Put that through the big washer, tighten until either it bottoms or the washer seats on the end of the crank, pull bolt and put correct one in, torque.

The only "special" tools I ever used on that was the puller and a long piece of bar stock with two bolt holes so I could bolt it to the pulley. Use a bar long enough to jam against the frame as you break the center bolt loose or torque it down. Oh, yeah, you will probably have to grind a small notch the get your socket in to the bolt.

Reply to
Will Honea

I not understanding, we use the balancer, just tap it on, to center the timing cover on the seal, before the cover's tighten down. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

The thinking is that the threads on the special tool save wear and tear on the crank threads.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

According to Bills website the regular bolt is too weak and short, I'm guessing it isn't long enough to get enough bite into the threads to pull the balancer in.

This afternoon I found a couple of longer bolts at Lowes and I'm going to give them a try.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Earle Hort> The thinking is that the threads on the special tool save wear and tear on

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

I would be worried about damaging the thrust bearing with a mallet, they shear easy from what I have seen....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> I'm thinking the bolt is not quite long enough to pull it from the
Reply to
Mike Romain

The main bearings!

Jeff DeWitt