Headers

Saw on quadratec.com borla headers for my tj, at $478.95! Not sure if this price is high or not for headers, but are they worth it? How much power can I expect? Also, wouldn't I have to change the rest of my pipes to get anything out of it? This jeep is the first vehicle I've owned that I've started working on, I've really learned alot but I just have no experience with "performance" headers... Seems to me that after the headers I would have to upgrade my entire exhaust back to the end...

Troy

Reply to
Troy

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

O forgot, if I did replace the entire exhaust, surely there should be something done to the intake? But I've been told the K&N is crap, especially since I'm sure I'd clog it up with mud. I can't think of anything to do to the intake. Anyone?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Borla sells good products to people who have more money than sense or think their status will be improved by paying lots of money.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Or get you local Ricers to suggest a good Speed Shop or independent tuner that handles DC vehicles.

K&N (and all the clones) give you more power because they have low restriction. They have low restriction because they don't filter much dirt/grit out.

Half the people out there swear by the K&N Style, the other half swear at them.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Troy did pass the time by typing:

Long story short. The lower the restriction from intake to exhaust the more efficient the motor >can be

Reply to
DougW

The short story is your Jeep Intake and exhaust manifolds are pretty good (better than most).

Seriously, your first improvements should be a set of top-of-the-line brake pads and the best quality tires you can afford that are suitable for the driving you will be doing. (BFG MTs are great off road but you don't want to drive them in ice or snow)

The most important thing in driving is not being able to go but being able to stop and turn safely

I will assume that as a younger person you have a limited amount of free cash and can say that most of the hop-ups you hear the ricers talk about are BIG BUCKS and each gives only a little extra power/mileage.

If you have a bankroll or rich and indulgent parents then take the Jeep to a

4x4 shop and go wild, have them pull the engine and send it to your local speed shop, trailer it to a custom exhaust shop,and then drive it to the tire store for rims and skins.

And then buy lots of life and medical insurance because you can not take off ramps at 70 mph in any Jeep.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Low restriction/high flow headers are great for drag racing. They kill your low end torque, though. Not what i would want to do to 4x4, but fun for buggies.

Reply to
Paul Calman

They did not use it when I was racing in the early-mid 70's at the little track up in the next county where we raced.

Well, I did not know if it was used by anyone. As you know most of the successful teams 'bend' as many rules as they think they can get away with.

There was a 1970 W-30 442 that came over from Indiana to race that used to kick everyone's butt. I always wanted to take a good look at his engine setup.

Reply to
Billy Ray

the exhaust's route round the front of the engine is fairly restrictive; I think that is one of the reasons the XJs put out more hp than the TJs for the same engine.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wait another year and they will have software and an interface for a laptop for $300 or so.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Nitrous Oxide is good, even though you know a guy who got killed with it. Propane on the other hand is bad even though you have never actually known anyone so much as singed. maybe if you put the N2O system on the Propane engine they would average out.

And I thought the French were nutty.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I remember reading an article in one of the hot rodding magazines about a guy who was a machinist who ran all the plumbing for the nitrous inside the intake manifold so there was only one plain black, easily concealable, rubber hose running to the manifold.

Reply to
Billy Ray

We were discussing topics in racing 3 decades ago. Things are a bit different now.

Reply to
Billy Ray