headlights - 2001 GC - pitted "inside"

Happen to be reading a thread about replacing the headlamp assembly on a

2001 GC. Ours look fine - not like the hazy ones in the TV commercials - BTW - how does that happen ?

Anyway, ours have a different situation... some lens pitting ? I don't think they are pitting on the outside of the clear lens, as I can't really feel anything with my fingers/nails. It's almost like they are pitting on the "inside" surface of the clear lens ? Maybe it's not really pitting, but more like very tiny crystals growing on the inside surface ?

Reply to
ps56k

oxidation of the plastic after the clearcoat gets worn off from dust/rain/etc.

condesation? I usually take the bulb out then with a long stick with soft cloth tied to the end, clean the inside of the lens. Then again mine do tend to get moisture inside. Older design. Let that go on too long and the reflective coating will corrode away. And nothing fixes that.

Reply to
DougW

I don't know how much money you have burning a hole in your pocket. However, if you have about $120 I would recommend replacing the lights with aftermarket projector beam housings. Don't bother polishing the old ones (OEM) as it doesn't last more than a year. I bought an aftermarket set of v3 Projector headlights and they look and work great. You can see my previous post on 7/4/2011 subject: Head light Assembly for 2001 Grand Cherokee.

Reply to
Jo Baggs