heater coil

All,

This morning I noticed anti-freeze on the passenger side of my 97 jeep cherokee...I'm told it's the heater coil leaking behind the glove box...thank goodness I have rubber floor mats...can I replace this myself, or do I need a backyard mechanic...any cost estimates available?

Steve

Reply to
sws

The good news is AutoZone has a lifetime guaranteed one for less than $50

The bad news is you have to remove the dashboard.

The worse news is if you have air conditioning it is much more involved.

Reply to
billy ray

From what I can tell it isn't an easy job. Lots of things have to come apart to get at the core. At least on the 93 ZJ it requires removing the entire dashboard and disconnecting the AC plumbing (which means a trip to have the AC pumped out and refilled)

First thing to do is to make sure it's not a leaking hose right at the firewall that's wicking into the cab. A heater core leaking in the AC system usually runs out the AC drain hose.

And in the mean time you can simply route one of the hoses back or splice the two togheter to cut out the heater core.

1997 - 2001 are the OEM price from chryslerpartsdirect.com is US$177.06

NAPA has it for $64, but it's a basic part, probably good but considering the effort it takes to replace a core, I'd go for the OEM.

If you have a dealer do it, be prepared for a big bill. (>1,000) for just the time.

Reply to
DougW

after you replace the core,be sure everything electrical has a good ground.And put a ground wire on the core itself.Even trace voltage of less than 1 volt can cause electrolysis in aluminum heater cores. I went through 3 on my gmc Sonoma before I found that out.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Thanks to all who replied!

I paid $4000 for the Jeep, had a head gasket leak, spent $600 on that and new water pump, radiator...now this. Starting to wonder if this car was a good deal or not. Thanks again! sws

Reply to
sws

Well, there's your problem. You're calling it a "car", and it's insulted!

Cl>> > sws wrote:

Reply to
Clint

That's the problem with used cars, you never know how it was kept.

Then again you don't have to watch a 25,000 investment with 8,000 in additional parts, bluebook at 2,000 either. :/

Look at it as an excuse to increase your tool collection and fill up a website. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Dave

Dave, this is a text only group. My server even cut your attachment post right out. You need to store the doc someplace and post a link to it.

Lots of us use alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 for binaries and attachments. It is a seldom used group.

Mike

Mike Romain

Okay, now I'm learning about the emotions of Jeeps! I will forever pray to the Jeep Gods that I never refer to my Jeep as a CAR!

Reply to
sws

Wise you are!...I will fill my toolbox with glee!

Reply to
sws

Dave,

Thanks for your document...it was very interesting...once you started to describe the removal of the steering column...I knew I was in trouble....luckily I have a mechanic in mind... anwer me this... does the entire dash board have to be removed? At this point, it has only leaded twice, and now I'm hoping it's a hose leaking...I looked at the glove box and HOPED it could be disassembled and the core would lie behine...I bet it's not that easy, is it...

Reply to
sws

AHHHHH! I have AC!!!!

Reply to
sws

That's great advice, THANK YOU...but unfortunately, it's way over my head. Want to talk about rebuilding computers?, I'm the best....but with your advice, I'll pass it on to the mechanic who will do the work eventually...I haven't noticed the leaking since it happened 5 days ago...

Reply to
sws

re:Lots of us use alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 for binaries and attachments. It is a seldom used group

Thank you for the newsgroup!

I will certainly use it now!

sws

Reply to
sws

I apologize for the typos...

Reply to
sws

I was taking my brother someplace once and refered to my Jeep as a car. He said I shouldn't call it that because it's a truck, I replied it's a JEEP, and IT knows what it is and doesn't care what anyone calls it.

That was about 200,000 miles ago so I don't think it got upset with me

Jeff DeWitt

Cl> Well, there's your problem. You're calling it a "car", and it's insulted! >

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Steve, sorry for the delay in getting back, I haven't read the news group. Yes the whole dash has to come out, because you have to remove the heater box. Like Mike stated before "Make sure the leak isn't coming from the heater hoses and is wicking into the heater box. I haven't heard that heater cores were a problem with 97 XJ's. Dave

Reply to
Dave