Heep revival....

I am about to resurrect my Heep after sitting for a year, due to multiple issues. This list is both to ask questions/opinion and for me to document what I am going to do.

Soon to be fixed:

1.) rusted frame... Will be replacing the whole inside wall on the drivers side from the firewall back to above the rear axle(where it was repleced before I bought it). What size plate should I use? I know the plates should be shaped, and welded by a certified welder. Will be taking body off to make easier.

2.) Replacing leaking(atleast 1 qt of oil per 150 miles), tired(85K miles and a bunch of blow by) 258 with a freshly rebuilt 4.2 out of a '89 Wrangler. Will be using my old carb, and swapping the flywheel.

3.) Rear brakes need refreshing. I know I need atleast shoes, but I also have another idea... Will the brakes from a '75 CJ5 Dana 44 swap over to the Dana 30?(I have a complete Dana 44 in the garage with brand new brakes that I could scavenge) (I would swap it in but it is set for spring over and I am not ready to lift it yet)

4.) Possibly painting the faded fiberglass body(supposed to be red but is a nice PINK.) Any prep I should do before I paint it? I will be using rattle cans, so I know it won't come out perfect but don't want it to peel or something becase I missed a simple step.)

5.) Fix leaking T5 Transmission. It leaks due to a broken bolt in the case, and figure I should replace seals while I have the chance. I see a Front Bearing Retainer seal, and a Rear output shaft seal listed. Anything else I should do?

6.) Fix leaking Dana 300 Transfer case. Not exactly sure where it is leaking so figure I wil replace the seals also. I see a Gasket & Seals kit listed. Anything else I should do?

7.) Possibly swapping in a used CenterForce clutch. Mine has slipped a bit in the past and figure I might as well while I am in there.

8.) Hopefully diagnosing fuel gauge issue.

9.) replace a bad rear brake light that is all corroded inside and not working.

Thanks for reading my rambling list...

Oh yeah I hope to get all of this done by winter.

Aaron

Reply to
aGraham
1) Fixing frames is MUCH easier with the tub off. It also allows you to put a coat of paint on the resulting repair. Use a mend plate about the same thickness as the original metal, in this case .125" or .134" steel should be fine. Using thicker stock gives you stress concentrations.

2)Swapping engines is easier with the body off. Painting is eaiser with the body off.

3) just do the brakes. Turn the drums for $12 each, new shoes.

4) Lightly scuff the gel coat with 240 or 320 grit wet/dry paper (the black stuff) run with plenty of water. Use primer putty (this is a one part paste that comes in a tube)to fix any scratches. Use regular Bondo if you have deep gouges. Use fiberglass repair kit for any cracks. First two are available at a good auto parts store or auto paint place. Latter is availalble at boat places.

Key to getting rattle cans to work right is to get enough paint on at one time to wet the surface. Use one can in each hand, maybe have a friend using a third can. Aim so they are hitting about 6" apart. You might want to buy a can holder that grips the can and holds the button down. Use a carbon filter mask to avoid losing any more brain cells. ($20 at a home store) Put on a thin coat of primer, sand again, hit it with the color of your choice. Select a primer color that is closest to yoour final color. (light grey for white or yellow, redish for reds, dark grey for blue and black.

5) Be carefull getting the bolt out. It's easy to gouge the aluminum. Replacing the synchros would be nice but they are not always easy to get in and shimmed correctly.

6) If you have the Dana 300 transfer case, just clean and replace the front and rear seals. If you have the Np231 with the chain, inspect the chain and replace if it has much slop.

7) Centerforce clutch is overrated for Jeep use. Use a stock clutch.

8) Gage problems on fiberglass conversions are often due to poor grounds. Make sure your tank is grounded to the frame with a new braid, make sure your dash is grounded to both the frame and the engine.

9) New tail lights are less than $20, just do both so they look nice. D> I am about to resurrect my Heep after sitting for a year, due to
Reply to
RoyJ

Winter 2006/7 right? ;-)

You cannot likely swap brake parts. I used the cheapest rear shoes in my CJ7 back in 2000 and just replaced them a month ago. They wore out 'perfectly' down to paper thin. I have never seen anything like it. LOL!

Make sure that 'tired' engine's blowby isn't just a failed purge valve on the charcoal canister or a pinched PCV line elbow or your 'new' engine will puke out just as much oil.

Unless you left leg is built like a pro footballer's leg, forget that centerforce clutch. It needs about 100 lb on the pedal with the mechanical linkage to get that sucker to release. My wife had to actually pull up on the steering wheel to get the pedal down. I went back to the stock borg warner clutch, way nicer!

Used clutches are trouble waiting for a bad place to fail, not recommended. They won't mate up to your flywheel properly and usually will chatter and vibrate themselves to dust or humidity might have attacked them while they were sitting out which just causes the pad to fall off.

Here is a good link that might help with the fuel gauge:

You can fart around with new sockets and pigtails, (they are your basic GM plugs and sockets, I used a GM van's harness for my spare parts) or just get a whole new rear light for about $20.00, $25.00 if it's the license plate one. (extra bottom lens) They are just universal trailer light fixtures. Also be aware the brake light grounds via the fixture bolts and the running light grounds via the harness. I have a 'glass tub so I just soldered a wire right on the back of the fixture for my brake and signal ground.

The rest you have the right idea, can't help on the frame specs or 'glass paint, I left my 'glass gel coat white.

The T-case has shift fork seals. Good idea to change those too.

Mike

aGraham wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I am hoping that lack of budget will keep me on the straight and narrow plan. And I know the Jeep is still not going to be perfect when I am done, just trying to get it back on the road for the winter and possibly due some wheeling.

This is sounding like a better option so I can keep the parts for when I swap the axle.

It was defintely blow by and the leaks make it worth replacing.

Thanks for the info... making me think again as it has been sitting for a couple of years.

Already have it all printed out, done almost everything except test the sending unit.

I already replaced the drivers side one so I know how easy it is and the grounding issues.

Reply to
aGraham

I also don't want to follow in my dad's footsteps.... he went to add Headers to his CJ5 and found that the body was only being held on by one bolt and ended up scrapping the whole Jeep. I think I have done enough research on the Jeep to know what I am getting into.

Reply to
aGraham

How come he got a bolt? Mike did your Jeep have any bolts? I thought real Jeeps were held together with rust

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
RoyJ

Rivets:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

They used rivets on the Titanic, as well...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo