Help 1989 Cherokee Transmission Problem

For the past year I have been having a transmission shifting problem with my AW-4 transmission. The transmission gets stuck in first gear and will not shift into second. It happened once or twce a week for a couple of months and then it stopped for about 6 months. Now again it happens once or twice a week. It appears most after an hour or so ride on the highway and then when I get off the exit and stop at a light the trouble will appear. If I pull off the road and turn the engine off for a few minutes the problem usually goes away. I did find that if I tap the gas peddle to the floor it will shift run fine most of the time. I did bring it to a jeep dealer and he could not get the tranny to fail. and he did not see any error codes. I have changed the fluid a couple of times and the voltages on the TPS look ok. Anyone have any ideas. thanks Jim

Reply to
downhill101

If your car is like my Cherokee 1990 there is a dual TPS. One controls the gear shift computer and one the engine.

I would suggest that your TPS could be failing or be out of adjustment. I have experienced the same behavior when I get my TPS really wet or misadjusted. I once installed my TPS without adjusting it and the downshift pattern was really slow/lacking. When it got wet once or twice it suddenly would stay in second.

Odd-Inge

Reply to
Odd-Inge Larsen

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Jim,

It could be caused by a loose, dirty, or out of adjustment neutral safety switch. I have put a page up on my site of how to remove, repair and re-install the neutral safety switch. It also controls all of the shift lever position signals to the transmission control unit. You can find the info at

then go down the page till you see the iconfor Neut/Sfty SW. info and click on it. Jim Nasset Aftermarket Innovations

Jim Nasset