Help 89 Cherokee Ball Joints

I'm looking at replacing some bits on my front end and since I'll be working in the area, I'm thinking about replacing the ball joints (are they ball joints or really king pins?). In any case, I don't want to go to the effort if there is nothing wrong with the existing ball joints, but I'm not sure how to evaluate their condition. My truck has about 180k Km's and hasn't seen a lot of off road. Can anyone offer some advice on how I determine if the existing ball joints need to be replaced? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Blabber

You need to take the weight off the wheel and use a pry bar to pry in all directions looking for movement. Any rust stains are bad news and a torn boot means a dead one normally.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I'm looking at replacing some bits on my front end and since I'll be
Reply to
Mike Romain

A mechanics stethoscope can be used to listen for the tell-tale clunk that comes from a worn balljoint. This might help.

DougW

Good write-up. I had to pb blast for several days before it would budge.

Reply to
nrs

Umm, good write-up if you are changing a 'tie rod end'.....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail >> You need to take the weight off the wheel and use a pry bar to pry in
Reply to
Mike Romain

Yep, that's a tie rod end, all right.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Isn't the link you provided for changing tie rod ends? Maybe I have the terminology wrong; I'm referring to the joints that hold the hub assembly 'carrier' to the axel and which allow the wheels to turn.

Reply to
Blabber

Like I said, it might help. Your terminology is correct. I haven't done a ball joint yet so that's the closest thing I have.

Reply to
DougW