Help 89 XJ Fuel Filter

Hi:

I took my 89 Cherokee LTD (inline 6, 2 door) into the shop today because of a fuel leak. Apparently the fuel filter is leaking and needs to be replaced. I was quoted $260 just for the filer (not including labor). Seems expensive to me as I see filter kits on line for as low as 8 bucks. I'm wondering if the parts guy mistakenly looked up the fuel pump - I could see that being $260.

Or, am I missing something? While searching on line, I see the occasion reference to a combined fuel filer/regulator.

Can anyone point to an reliable online source for purchasing the right fuel filer for my XJ? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Blabber

You are correct, it is just a canister type filter bolted to the inside frame rail under the back seat drivers side area just in front of the tank. Took me 10 minutes tops last time to change my 88's in my driveway laying on my back.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi:
Reply to
Mike Romain

I was under the impression that the fuel injected inline six used a fuel filter inside the tank. Like this one.

But this seems to be the one listed for your vehicle.

I don't see where an in-tank unit is going to produce a "leak", at least not where you can see it. The out-of-tank unit does appear to cost 8 bucks, as you say. It is unusual, but not impossible, for a fuel filter to leak. Usually such a leak is the fault of the hoses connected to it.

Maybe print both pages out and take them to the shop for some further clarification?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Oh, forgot. Google gives this quick hit:

$11.17

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hi:
Reply to
Mike Romain

New hoses and clamps would be a good idea too. I assume this needs hoses rated for fuel injection?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The filters usually come with short connection hoses and clamps, but if they don't a new set would be in order.

Mine came with all I needed, that's for sure because I don't remember having to cuss it out.

Mine rusted away and leaked also.

Mike

Earle Hort> New hoses and clamps would be a good idea too. I assume this needs

Reply to
Mike Romain

If the parts guy didn't catch a 260 filter.....

Personally I think the stealership is trying to screw you. But given the benefit of doubt, they sure have the wrong price for that part.

Napa

(3$-6$)
(Gold)
or for OEM

Replacing the filter is easy, just keep a clean glass for salvaging the fuel that will come out, and put one finger over one of the pipes so the filter doesn't dump on you. Up end it (engine side down) into a glass and let the fuel run out. After it settles a bit you can pour it back into your tank (or the lawnmower/bike/etc)

Watch the filters edges, they are often bloody sharp. Cut myself a couple of times on the darn things before investing in some gloves.

A bit of motor oil on the O rings will allow them to slide on and seal better.

Reply to
DougW

Also, make sure you release the pressure in the system first by opening the gas tank cap and pressing the valve on the fuel rail (use a rag to avoid spraying).

Reply to
nrs

If it was as rotted as mine, he has no pressure to worry about. LOL!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

According to my Haynes manual, the fuel filter on 1997 and later models is part of the fuel pump/sending unit assembly inside the fuel tank.

Reply to
98XJ

Seeing as you are replying to me.....

That is very likely, Chrysler can't sucker 'some' folks for big bucks with the old style inline filter like the OP has, so now you have to take out the fuel tank. The 86 even has the pump in a front access panel of the tank so it doesn't have to be dropped either to fix it like yours. Again 'way' to cheap to fix eh. Like that $1000.00 labour rip off defective blend air door. They should be nailed for that well known issues.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

I have been a participant in several class action law suits. The lawyers win big, and the end consumers are the ones who pay. After several years, if you are a blend air door victim, you might get a check for $15.00.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton