HELP: 97 TJ Adjustable Rear Control Arms....

Hello folks. Thanks again to all of you for helping me through my 4 inch suspension lift issues. ;-) My new driveshaft and slip yoke conversion kit are on the way. I was told that I will need adjustable rear control arms to help the pinion angle. What kind should I get? Should I get them for the front as well? I also saw some raised poly motor mounts. Are these gonna help anything in my situation? Thanks again everyone.

Brian Tanksley snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Briantanksley

Brian,

Rear upper control arms will rotate your axle, changing the driveline angle. You won't NEED lowers, or anything on the front, but it's a good upgrade cause the stock control arms don't take much of a beating. About the only good thing about them is you can always find someone selling a set really cheap (ask me how I know). I currently have a set of Rubicon Express control arms. They seem to do the job. I hear the Currie arms are really great... but they cost a little more.

A motor lift also changes the driveline angles in your favor. I don't know anything about Poly mounts. M.O.R.E. makes a replacement for the stock motor mount that they call "Bombproof". I assume that's because it is. I went the way of the JKS spacers. Aluminum bricks that go under the stock motor mounts. Keep in mind that, if you raise your engine, and do not raise your body (as with a body lift), you will need to address your radiator fan shroud. It's a simple matter of moving it up so the fan does not hit the shroud. I've heard some people even trim the shroud to avoid contact.

At any rate, you're into mods that lead to other mods... It's when the fun begins :-) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Thanks for the info! ;-)

Brian T.

Reply to
Briantanksley

Adjustable control arms will be necessary to change your rear pinion angle. You want the rear pinion input to point directly at the CV joint in the rear driveshaft. You can get either adjustable uppers, adjustable lowers, or both. You would need both to keep the axle in the same exact location as it is now (lengthen the upper, shorten the lower). However, you'd also be fine to just get adjustable lowers (what I have done) and leave the uppers stock. Shorten the lowers alone. It doesn't take a lot to angle that pinion up where you want it. You may lose an inch of wheelbase at most.

The raised motor mounts can help with driveline angles, but your CV shaft and a properly angled rear pinion should be sufficient on its own. If you do ever decide to go with aftermarket (raised or not) motor mounts, I would recommend against getting the kind with polyurethane bushings. These will transmit much more engine vibrations through the frame and into the cab. I have aftermarket motor mounts, but made sure to get some with high-strength rubber bushings. Mine are the M.O.R.E. brand (MORE sells both the poly and rubber styles, I got their rubber style).

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks Bob! ;-)

Brian

Reply to
Briantanksley

True but shortening the wheelbase any at all, even just an inch, is not a great idea on a Wrangler that already has a very short wheelbase. If I had a choice between buying upper or lower adjustable-length arms for setting the pinion angle, uppers win every time in my opinion. :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford