Help! Can't find injector O-rings for my '88 XJ

1988 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L, MPI. 138K miles.

I'm totally scr*wed. Superbowl Sunday I had a small leak where the fuel rail connects to one of my fuel injectors. I called all the local auto part stores (5) and found one that said they had the o-rings. I picked them up, pulled the injectors and the fuel rail and put the new o-rings on. (many of the old o-rings just snapped coming off the injector)

So far so good, but when I tried to put the injectors back into the fuel rail, they won't go. I really gave it a good try, then I decided to take a look at the old o-rings. It turns out that my original rings come in two flavors. A slightly larger one for the injector to engine seal and a slightly smaller one for the injector to fuel rail. Unfortunately, the new rings only came in one flavor, the slightly larger one.

Today (Monday) I had a friend with a working car pick up a new set from my jeep dealer, part # 83503637. Guess what, they only have the slightly larger size in their kit as well. My dealer said that this is the only o-rings they have. In his look up, he said that the seal kit was susposed to have two types of o-rings, black and brown, but the actual packages only have one type.

Can anyone point me to a source for the o-rings that go on the fuel rail side? Is my dealer just too stupid to look up the part correctly? Is my XJ going to be mothballed because of an $0.89 rubber ring? If I can't get the right size rings, can I use a gasoline resistant RTV instead? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Liam Ness

L.W.(ßill)

I did this same job five weeks ago and all is ok. I used the dealer set (13, all black). Just be sure to wet the oring and hole on the fuel rail with petrolatum(vasoline). If I recall, the retainer clips are installed on the rail and then each injector is inserted until it snaps in place. - Joe

Reply to
Joe M

Reply to
Liam Ness

Reply to
Liam Ness

Liam,

Take one of your old O-rings to an industrial hydraulic supply store and have them match it up for size. The compound you want the O-ring made from is 75 Durometer Nitrile. They can measure the size for you and order you the proper O-rings. They won't be very expensive. This compound is gasoline resistant and has an operating temperature of -65 to +250 Fahrenheit. I buy O-rings from the local supply store for the Chevy tuned port injection units I rebuild this way. The O-rings you buy from the dealer are nothing more than repackaged industrial O-rings made from the proper compound.

Chris

Forgot to mention this link:

Joe, 90XJ

Reply to