HELP deciding which ZJ to buy 2001 4.7L Limited or 2004 4.0L Laredo, more inside

Hi Folks, got a friend hooked on JEEPs after I got my 1995 4.0L ZJ Limited.

Here is his/our predicament He went shopping for a 1995 and was talked into trying a 2001 limited and fell in Love.

The Jeep in question is a 2001 Limited, 4.7L V8, Quadra-Trac II, with everything and 56000KM for CDN$25995.

Now, I spoke to a friend who owns a car wholesale dealership and he has a

2004 Laredo 4.0L, same equipment except no sunroof, no leather. and 30000KM for CDN$31000.

My Friend does 95% Highway miles and averages about 50000KM per year. No off-roading but he is often driving through snowstorms to get to client sites etc. Hence the need for 4WD.

Financing the 2001 for 5yrs yields $500/mth, and the 2004 for 6yrs yields $515/mth. all taxes etc included.

I am leaning encouraging him to get the 2004( yet to test drive), but that

2001 he has driven has him swooning.

we decided to solicit your opinions.....

so let her rip Folks...

Paul

1995 ZJ 4.0L Limited
Reply to
Paul Tremblay

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill you lost me, Hemi?? I thought that was only coming for the 2005 model year.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Tremblay

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

... Hemi Grand SRT. 425 hp and 4wd. [autoweek]

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The current incarnation has nothing much more than the name in common with the ancestral block.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

So you didn't know about the hemispherical combustion chamber that both engines have? Today's Hemi is just a more modern version of the Hemi of the

60's that I grew to love... and it is, regardless of what you think, a "Hemi" engine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

What the modern "hemi" has in common with the older hemispherical chamber'd mopars is the name...a very valuable name, becoming a brand name all of its own. And yes, I know the difference between a wedge head, a ram head, a hemi head, etc. etc. etc. 'twas a DC person who made the statement that the new hemi [which has far more actual horsepower per cube] pays homage to the older generation but is not a descendent.

Jerry Bransford proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

I can remember a few hemi's up around Grand Junction, Moab, etc. that displayed the legendary performance. All were in dealer hands and never did see one on the streets. Most of the nutcases tended to run the ram 426 on the street--easier to keep in one piece. Of course one of my ex-cow orkers had a Keith Black 426 ram with B&M hydro and used it to commute between Moab and Green River to work....you could watch the gas guage creep downwards on the highway.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Yes, I assume that was said in reference to the fact that the new "Hemi" is hemispherical on one axis and squished in on the sides. Not even remotely like the heads of the originals. Maybe it should have been called the open-on-the-bottom-taco head. When it came out some criticized the "Hemi" name as pure marketing.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

See link.

There's a quote half way down, copied here for your convenience:

"...There is also a little problem called "flame quench" (which causes additional NOx) with a true Hemi design, as was used on the V16 aircraft engine and the automotive engines produced in the 1950s. Today's Hemi is that (a "Hemi") in name only. [Editor's note: Bob is referring to the head design. It is not a true hemispherical head, but looks vaguely like a hemispherical head with parts filled in.]"

Here's a nice photo of the new head and the oval or squished in "Hemi."

These pages have a lot of other good info.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The two plugs are explained in the allpar.com article:

"Dual spark plugs per cylinder ensure consistent, complete and rapid combustion, without knock, that increases peak power and torque, reduces exhaust emissions and increases fuel efficiency. It even smoothes the engine's idle. The 5.7 delivers an 8-10 percent better fuel efficiency than the less-powerful 5.9."

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Generic proclaimed:

As does the Road & Track supplement on the Chrysler 300C that subscribers got.

Reply to
Lon

Drag engine? My dad's old 1936 Nash Ambassador straight eight had twin plug ignition...