Help: Diff cover replacement suggestions for 89 Cherokee

Hi:

One of my diff covers is weeping a bit and I'm think that it's time to replace my front and rear differential covers with something that has a drain plug and a gasket. My 4-wheeling is limited to logging roads and snow so I don't need something that's absolutely rock proof. Does anyone have any suggestions on a suitable stock replacement and a good place to buy?

I don't know which front or rear axels I have or how to find out so if you can offer any help on how to figure it out, I'd appreciate it.

On line I found some stuff on ARB differential covers - which have a drain plug but which seem to be quite a bit overkill for my application (and expensive). I found some reusable gaskets from Lube locker - has anyone used them?

PS: If there's a good reason why the stock covers don't have drain plugs and why they don't use gaskets, please let me know. Thanks.

89 Cherokee Limited 2 door Inline 6 Selectrack transmission
Reply to
Blabber

Stock covers don't have drain plugs because you need to pull the cover to check for wear and to wipe out any metal shavings. You probably have the dana 30 and dana 35 differential.

I find the lube locker gaskets to be over priced when a 1.00 paper one will do the job.

Be sure you get the pump.. it makes the job MUCH easier. If you can't find a a gasket, you can use RTV. Just make sure the line the cover up perfectly..any sliding and you're starting over.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

There is no drain plug, to make you inspect parts and do some cleaning. This is not unreasonable except in the case of limited slips which require more frequent fluid changes. Selec-Trac is a transfer case, not a transmission. Get some high quality (i.e. relatively expensive) silicon sealer and your gaskets will go another almost twenty years. Current thinking is to use RTV for this application, not a gasket. Synthetic lube is a good investment for this application. You will only need about a quart for each differential and it will help reduce friction in cold weather. For the small quantity of fluid needed and the long change interval it more than justifies the added expense. If you have a limited slip then make sure to get the additive. In my experience it is best to use the additive rather than preformulated "limited slip compatible" fluid.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton