Help! Front windshield wipers stopped working!

Hello everyone,

I need your help, my front windshield wipers just stopped working (not a good thing as there is snow coming down and there is snow forecasted for the next week!!!) I checked the fuses in the glove compartment (I guess I should mention that I have a 97 TJ...) and they are fine I even replaced it, just in case, but the wipers are still not working, the windshield fluid spray works tough... Here is pretty much where my mechanical knowledge ends (I wish I knew more!), what should I check next?

Thanks for your help in advance! Joe.

Reply to
GA

power to the motor ( use one of thos pen type testers with the sharp point) , find the wiper motor, stick the point into one of the wires , ground the other, if the pen lights up you have power to the motor, thus the motor is the problem.

Reply to
Punch

Here is an easy way to check if you're not mechanically inclined. Step 1. Fuse (good job) Step 2. Turn wipers on. Wiggle the switch, try every position while watching for any movement of the wipers. Watch closely, they may move a tiny bit if you hit the sweet spot on a bad switch. Step 3. Turn wipers on. Nudge the wipers by hand - not too hard. If the wiper motor has a dead spot a little nudge might find it. Anything beyond these methods is a little more advanced like checking bad connections with a circuit tester, wiggling plugs, taking the switch apart etc. Try steps 2&3 and if you're feeling adventurous, come back and ask for advice.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Hey guys,

thanks for your input! I found what the problem was... I opened up the panel on the hood where the wiper motor is and guess what... there was a big clump of ice just blocking down the all liver system!!! Once I broke the ice it started working again. Damn freezing rain!

Thanks for your help again! Joe.

Reply to
GA

Wow are you ever lucky!

Normally when I see that I also see a dead wiper module for the intermittent and low speeds. All that is left is high.

Mike

GA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thats why I have about 4 of these modules on hand (all junkyard pulls), right now I'm on module #2.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

My CJ7 one is toast. I really only need the schematic for it and I can replace the popped diodes or find someone to open one and tell me the numbers.

Bill?????

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill.

My 86 CJ7 Laredo has a fancy intermittent wiper module in it. That thing has diodes and resistors in it.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike, does the module look and have the same connectors on it as you XJ? (of that has intermittent wipers), what's the P/N on the module in your CJ?

Snow

Reply to
Snow

I wish!

This damn thing costs $465.00 plus tax at the $tealership!!!!

It is an AMC part with the numbers SF S728007 and UTA 1264 on it.

Mike

Snow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain