Help Installing a Radio in a Cherokee

I just got a 1990 Cherokee and the previous owner decided to take out all four speakers and cut the wiring harness. I can currently find 13 wires and the antenna plug. I only intend on installing two speakers because I'll never be in the back and I don't have that much money. According to a wiring diagram I found, front right speaker wires should be black for neg and white for pos. I found 2 black wires and one plain white up in the dash. I pulled open the door panel and found one green and one black wire. So I looked back in the dash and I found a one green and one black wire. Went over to the left door panel and found the same thing. One black one green. I have another black wire in the dash but not another green one. According to the diagram left front speaker should be green for pos and black/yellow for neg. Diagram also says that the ground should be a black wire.

My questions are:

1) Does the color of the wires at the actual speaker matter? 2) Is there any way I can figure out which black wire is the ground? 3)Does any one know if you need a dash kit for this car? It doesn't look like the opening is too big but I don't have a radio to put in it yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
bendixaviation

No.

Don't ground any speaker wires with today's stereos. If you have to, run a pair of 16 GA or heavier to each speaker. Use STRANDED wire in a vehicle.

Any place that sells car stereos have kits that fill the hole and mount the stereo. Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Tweeter...

If the thing wasn't hacked up, you could buy a harness adapter with the ground, always hot and switched hot labeled. Now you'll need a voltmeter to find these wires. You can find primers and stuff at

(they ARE expensive there) I always solder and shrink wrap my connections. They last forever that way. Crimps will fail in strange ways........

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Nope. Sounds like someone has already changed some.

You can use a multimeter to trace wires. Put it on continuity or 'beep' or ohms and see which end is for which wire by checking for a circuit.

The 'ground' should lead back to the stereo, not go to the body.

It fits a standard radio. You might need a kit for the faceplate, but if you go to the local wreckers around here anyway, they sell all kinds of stock radios cheap.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Jeep wiring harness:

Buy a voltmeter from Radio Shack and put it in-between the battery andthe wire you believe to be a ground and test it. The conversion kits are only nice if the factory plugs are still inplace. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III