Help - Opinions On U-Joints and coil sprigs: 89 XJ, 4L I6

Hi:

I've got about 190k Kms on my 89 Cherokee, I had the original front axel U-Joints replaced at about 160k Kms and now, at least one of them is gone again. I'm looking for advice on a better quality replacement than the last set - sorry I don't know the make of the last set. All I know is that they were not as good as the originals. I don't do a lot of off roading so my need is a longer life - as opposed to great strength - maybe you can't get one without the other?

What's the consensus on greasable vs. sealed U-Joints? I would have thought that greasable is the way to go, but my originals were sealed and lasted a lot longer than the greasable replacements even though I greased them regularly.

I also have a broken coil spring and would like to replace both fronts with ones that are similar to stock in terms of ride and height. Any suggestions?

While replacing the coil springs, I might as well replace the front shocks. Any suggestions on a good set of replacements - keeping in mind that my 4 wheeling is pretty much limited to snowy roads in ski season and the odd logging road in summer - nothing too challenging? I liked the original ride and would considered replacing with the original shocks, but I'm willing to go for improved durability if that's available. I don't want the ride to be any harsher.

While I've got this much of the front end apart, should I consider replacing anything else while I'm 'in there'?

Also interested in:

Good quality replacements for Front and Rear Drive Shaft U-Joints including the double cardian joint.

A good on-line source for parts like U-Joints and springs

Thanks for any advice.

89 Cherokee XJ 4 Litre, Inline 6, 2 Door Selectrack Transmission
Reply to
Brake Down

Always get greasable U-joints so you can keep fresh grease in them. Chances are your replacements failed from lack of grease.

A good online source is

you can have parts mailed or you can pick them up at your local Checker/Shucks/Kragen.

I have a set of stock front coil springs from my 2000 XJ that are in good shape. If you're interested, I will sell them to you dirt cheap.

Edelbrock AIS shocks seem to have a good rep. With your situation, your run of the mill parts store shocks should be fine (ie Gabriel)

HTH

Carl

00 XJ - Lifted, Locked, Tired, and Exhausted

Reply to
Carl S