Help Please - 89 Jeep Wrangler still doesn't start...

I have a 89' Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L 4 cyl that doesn't start. When I try to start the vehicle, I'm seeing no spark at the plugs and I don't believe there is any juice from the starter coil to the cap.

It sat for over seven years. I've replaced the plugs, distrubutor cap and cables, the starter coil and the crank-shaft position sensor. When I put the key in and turn to battery I do get voltage to the yellow wire (see below).

The starter coil takes three sets of inputs which are (I'm guessing as follows)

======================================================== o \ o ---- Set of three - unused o /

o \ o /------ Set of two - only one wire - black/orange to tach?

o \ yellow (thickist) - 12v supply o set of three black \ o / green/yellow /--- To crankshaft position sensor ==========================================================

I have a picture here:

My questions are as follows:

  1. Is my layout above correct?
  2. Am I missing anything? Are there any missing wires?
  3. In front of the three sets of inputs, and behind the cable going to the distributor cap is pronged recepticle. Is this supposed to have anything attached to it?
  4. Any suggestions as to what I might do next to get this engine going?

Thanks for all the help in the past any any help you can offer me.

Paul

Reply to
homesmartselling

One cause of no spark on the older beasts is a bad body ground strap. I don't know where the 4's is located, but the 6 has a mesh strap from the engine head to the firewall and one across the engine mount. When these get ratty, you can have no spark.

I use a booster cable from the battery negative to the body to test for this.

Do you have power to the coil positive connection during starting? A bad connection on the starter relay/solenoid can not put power to the coil when the starter is turning. If there isn't power there then, I think it is one of the green wires on the relay that can be dirty.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

I recently had a fallout with my 90XJ and eventually had to replace the ignition control module. Before that I replaced the coil, plug wires, spark plugs, and cps sensor. I took it to Autozone and they had a tester machine they hooked it up to. From the picture you have, its the part that the ignition coil is sitting on top of, where the wires plug into.

I know you have a YJ and mines an XJ but its worth taking off and having tested. They tested mine for free.

Good luck!

Troy

Reply to
Troy