Help Question Misplaced in thread

I have an 88 wrangler with the 4.2L six. I parked it a while back when the hydraulic clutch wasn't engaging properly. I had no time to try and bleed it, or replace it. So...time passes. Its been parked for 4-5 months and I finally have time to work on it. I went to start it, and surprise the battery was dead. Replaced the battery. Then it would crank but not fire. I checked fuel, plugs, etc. Replaced the plugs, plug wires are pretty new, no obvious problem there. carb is getting fuel okay. cranked it over again and the damn starter wont disengage. I thought perhaps all my cranking on it fried the starter. Replaced the starter. New starter does the same thing. Now i have to pull the battery cable to stop the starter once its turned over, still wont start. I checked for spark at the coil and found that I have spark when the ignition is turned over (just for a moment) and then nothing. If i tap the positive lead on the battery terminal while the engine is cranking, it tries to start. If I could tap it constantly enough then I could get it to stay running. A little inconvenient while driving down the road. The key in my ignition is loose, and has been for years, could this be the cause of the problem? I pulled off the wheel and got to the switch but I cant tell if its remaining engaged or not. I also suspected the little solenoid on the fire wall. I pulled it off and opened it up. It has no contact until the key is turned to engage it, so I assume its fine. oh...and I replaced the coil for good measure. I'm at the point where I'm about to pull the loom and look for fried wires. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

-cj

Reply to
sam owens

Could it be that the ignitinon switch bad or is stuck in the start position?

What I mean is, maybe the contact was made when the key was turned on and did not release. Maybe tear it apart and have a look, squirt some WD in it or something. A mud dobber could have gotten in there and made a mess.

Or maybe you have a couple of wires under there that are making contact that shouldn't be. Check from the ignition through to the starter.

K..

Reply to
Kate