Help - rear differential blew apart

Hi all,

So I was merging onto the freeway last week when I hear this loud BANG underneath my YJ.. pulled over to the side, and while I was able to shift gears, the jeep wouldn't move. Thought the transmission had gone out. Towed it to a mechanic who said I needed to replace the entire rear differential at a bill of $1200.. I am going to get a second opinion before going through with it.. maybe it can be repaired instead of replaced.. Jeep is at about 130,000 miles.. has anyone had this problem before?

On a side note, if anyone knows where I can find those soft doors with the clear windows on both the top and bottom of the doors, I'm looking for a set of those :)

Thanks everyone..

Reply to
rockstroh

Year, engine, and gear ratio??

Are you interested in an upgrade?

Junkyard Dana 35's are readily available for a few hundred bucks.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Hi.. sorry, it's a 1993 4.0 with a 3.07 ratio (I think).. I was thinking about upgrading but don't know that much about differentials.. I crawled underneath and checked the cover and I think it's a Dana 30 on there right now (in pieces, I hear)..

Reply to
rockstroh

I recommend junkyard parts. It is easy to verify gear ratio by counting the axle and yoke turn ratio if needed.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain