help with all weather electrics

He', I own and 83 CJ7. I plan to drive it top down in all kinds of weather. Rain, snow or whatever is thrown at me. Would someone suggest some good sources of water-proof gauges, radios and speakers. Maybe some marine equipment catalogs? The electrics are no problem, I will rewire and seal all the connections as I progress.

THANKS!

-- mike

Reply to
namexa

I left the top off my 78 CJ7 year round in PA. I have pictures of it completely covered in a 10 foot+ snow drift. The beast ran fine, never noticed any electrical problems.

Reply to
Joe

When I did mine, I removed the dash and opened up all the gauges to clean the inside glass on them. It was difficult to do because of the pressed on front, but a small screw driver and patience did it fine.

I then sealed all the front plates and glass onto the gauges with RTV silicone. I then used RTV silicone to set the gauges back into the dash, making the front water tight.

I opened all the electrical plugs and sockets and gave them all a good coating of dielectric grease on their seats and seals trying not to get 'too' much on the contact itself. Did the same under the hood.

I also ran a bead of RTV silicone along the top lip of the dash when I put it back on, sealing it from water coming in the downward direction.

I have run year round with no top and/or just the bikini top with no dash troubles except the radio. Fried that from water.

I am thinking on looking into one of those marine front covers for the radio when I buy the next one, or get one of those pop out radios.

Mike

namexa wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

namexa did pass the time by typing:

search out "self vulcanizing rubber tape" That stuff is used to seal splices and works well to seal all sorts of stuff. But beware, it's always sticky and once it touches itself, it becomes one solid piece of rubber.

Avoid cheapo PVC tape. The only good it's for is to create a well around the back of a switch so you can fill it with RTV silicone.

Reply to
DougW

My Question is what about the steering column. I've read in this newsgroup where rain shorted out the horn. My Jeep has evidence of that happening to it too. The horn relay was burnt out and when I put a new one in the horn would'nt stop. Jim

78 CJ7 84 CJ7
Reply to
Jim Downey