Help with catalytic converter '97 TJ

Hi My Catalytic converter is rattling around inside, so I think I should replace it. Is this a difficult job? It seems I can buy the converter with or without the front pipe from the header. My original pipe appears OK, but the bolts look pretty rusted at the header. What's the thinking? Replace the whole front pipe or just cut the old converter out and stick a new one in.

Thanks everyone.

Jimmy

Reply to
jocoman

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca did pass the time by typing:

Yep, before it plugs up.

Yes and no. All depends on how much rust and what tools you have. It's not a four-bolts-and-your-done job. Those U clamps almost always need to be replaced (in my case they had to be cut off) and getting the pipes free sometimes requires cutting. That's one job I usually take to a good muffler shop (Midas is NOT a good muffler shop) and let them do. Locally a new high-flow cat runs about $100 installed.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
philthy

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca proclaimed:

About like any other exhaust job where if you have the right tools you only bust one knuckle per bolt.

The difference is really what you see under there. If you can get the old one out easier without taking it apart at the header, your choice.

Reply to
Lon