help with transmission removal, 1999 Wrangler Manual

Hi;

I'm hoping someone has some advice...

Clutch failed in my 1999 Wrangler, at least, I'm assuming it failed, it basically jammed to where the clutch pedal cannot be pressed.

Trying to remove the transmission, and have had a lot of problems. First there is a bolt with a completely ridiculous head, maybe a star, that is impossible to get to and apply torque...I finally had to cut the head off.

All bolts seem to be out, but the transmission will not budge.

Does anyone know of a trick or a problem or anything that I need to do to get the transmission out?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
KRK

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Not really a suggestion on the transmission, but from your initial description I would have first been looking at the clutch master cylinder, then the slave before pulling the transmission.

Reply to
jeff

You cut the head of a Torx bolt? That's not good, how are you going to replace it.

Where was it located?

Then all the bolts are not out...

Did you check the clutch slave and master cylinders?

Reply to
PeterD

If memory serves, there are TWO of those torx bolts at the top of the bell housing. Sounds like you found one - good luck getting the rest of the bolt out if you cut the head off. Best I recall, that will not be an option on the second one - no room for a cutting tool. Try a 12 pt. 1/2 inch SAE socket on that head. It may be a 12 or 13mm metric size as well but one of those 3 sockets should fit it. Sounds like the old saying took hold here: when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail....

Reply to
Will Honea

Well he could try the proper Torx socket, too. That just may work.

Reply to
PeterD

You've got mail.

K.

I'm hoping someone has some advice...

Clutch failed in my 1999 Wrangler, at least, I'm assuming it failed, it basically jammed to where the clutch pedal cannot be pressed.

Trying to remove the transmission, and have had a lot of problems. First there is a bolt with a completely ridiculous head, maybe a star, that is impossible to get to and apply torque...I finally had to cut the head off.

All bolts seem to be out, but the transmission will not budge.

Does anyone know of a trick or a problem or anything that I need to do to get the transmission out?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
Kate

;) See final sentence.....

Reply to
Will Honea

True, I've seen a bunch of transmissions attached with 8p nails, too...

Reply to
PeterD