Hey guys n gals

Hey everyone I just made the leap from my 80 Ramcharger 4x4 to an 89 Cherokee pioneer. Just saying hi, and to ask a few questions:

truck is:

89 Cherokee Pioneer 4dr (4wd, obviously) 124k, 4.0 Liter, 5spd manual

How good is this combination for general easy trail riding?

With proper care, what kind of life can I expect from this set up? (It was very well maintained when I got it).

Some of you may be familiar with the trails at Evans Creek, WA. My Ramcharger made the "Most difficult" trails easily, but suffered much body damage. What modifications should be first on my list to be able to take easy to moderate trails without suffering any damage?

Thanks,

Carl

89 Cherokee Pioneer 84 Celica GT-S 80 Dodge Ramcharger (For sale!) 93 Dodge Dynasty 77 Chevy Caprice Classic
Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Check to see if you have the Puegeot BA 10/5 tranny or the AX15. The French 10/5 is a really weak sister behind the 4.0 with aluminum synchros (that cost more than a whole new tranny of about any other make) and some really weak counter shaft mounts. You can tell it pretty easily since the case splits down the length (front to back). Mechanically, that's about the weakest part of the system and they changed over to the AX15 sometime in the 89 production run - I've seen both used. You'll also eventually come up against the internal hydraulic slave cylinder inside the clutch. My 88 went south at about

125k - both pieces failed with> Hey everyone I just made the leap from my 80 Ramcharger 4x4 to an 89
Reply to
Will Honea

Hi Carl,

Rocker panels are the usually the first part of a Cherokee to get mashed when the trail gets rough. You can buy bolt-on protection such as these:

My rocker panels were already rusted and rashed so I cut them out and enlisted a friend with a MIG to weld in 2x6 box tube steel:

They stick out to protect the doors, afford higher clearance than the original rocker panels, and double as air tanks. I've come down on them hard with no damage and sometimes use them to pivot on trees or rocks when the trail gets tight.

Steve

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Steve