Hi Beams and Fog lights??

Hey folks, I gotta question for ya. I replaced my factory fog lights with Lightforce lights but I want them to stay on when I put my high beams on. Anyone know what I need and where to disconnect to keep the lights on when the hi beams are on?

Thanx, Mike

Reply to
AKJEEPER

What vehicle? What model? What year?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I saw this posted once and saved it. Sorry, I don't know who the author was so I cant give him the proper credit.

Shadow ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  1. Remember, this is for a TJ ONLY!

  1. Open the top cover of the fuse panel (under hood) next to the battery.

  2. Look at the diagram printed underneath the cover and locate the Fog Light Relay. This is normally in slot #41.

  1. Carefully remove the relay. This will require a slight tugging.

  2. On the side of the relay, there should be a electrical diagram (printed) which numbers each prong 1 thru 5.

  1. Having located prong number 1, which is normally the one closest to the fender, carefully bend it all the way around the side of the relay.

  2. Reinsert relay, close fuse box cover, close hood, inspect light function.

What this does is removes the dimmer switch signal from the relay. Having bent the prong, the relay will be fooled to think you never turn on high beams.

On an '01 or '02 TJ, the fog lamp relay is the #35 relay in the main fuse box under the hood on the passenger side.

On earlier TJs it's the #2 relay (the one on the right) behind the glove box door.

Reply to
The Shadow

Did you put in a new wiring harness when you did this? or did you just swap out the lamps?

Reply to
MJ w/ 2 TJ's

I just wanted to add this. I like fog lights, they make a vehicle look a bit nicer. BUT, fog lights are to be used in the FOG, not while driving around trying to look cool and heading into oncoming traffic. They are to be treated just like the high beams, when you are behind someone or driving towards someone, shut them OFF. Many people don't read there manuals and respect laws on fog lights.

just my opinion, getting tired of being blinded by four lights coming at me.

Reply to
Marty

One of my pet peeves, too... worst part is that (Texas) law allows a secondary pair of driving lights... people, turn off your stupid fog lamps! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

ditto. I leave my fog lights on when ever my headlights are on - but I have them aimed so that I don't blind oncoming traffic or the vehicle ahead of me. They are also the factory, kind of dim, with a flat pattern fog lights.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

How many light switches have you burned out?

If you are going to run more amps than stock through the stock switch, you will need a relay or the switch will melt down.

I have to fix this all the time for people. Did a CJ7 last week that just had halogen lights in instead of stock sealed beams. His switch melted down. I added a relay for him.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That is against the law in most places. You have to have the low beams on. They point down anyway so don't reflect too much.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike:

I haven't burned out any switches. If you are referring to the KC Hilites Quad Beam Kit, it comes with a relay. If you are referring to having the fogs come on along with the high beams, it works fine, with no problems.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Mike:

When driving in really dense fog, most all the light from the headlights is reflected right back into the drivers eyes. In really dense fog, the headlights are blinding to the driver.

To my knowledge, driving in dense fog with the parking lights on and properly adjusted fog lights on is not against the law.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I was talking the kit, didn't see a relay on their website photo.

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 9/21/03 09:42, mabar uttered for posterity:

Not really. All you need is good headlights with good cutoff patterns so the low beam doesn't scatter back into your face. Pretty much any good aftermarket will have this, but many newer standard lights also have cutoff shields.

OK, I had to look it up. In at least one state, there is no exemption for fog conditions during night hours. Too lazy to keep looking for daytime fog of the California central valley tule variety.

Reply to
""L0n.$towell"

Heh, I always thought it was, so I went and looked in the Ontario Canada rules and sure as shit, you are correct.

Here we can even run 2 orange or yellow fogs and parking lights legally, let alone white ones. Cool!

Orange fogs and orange park lights are the way to go in real fog...

Mike

mabar wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

In Ohio, the law allows a maximum of five headlights or auxiliary lights on at one time.

"(A) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlights also is equipped with any auxiliary lights or spotlight or any other light on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, not more than a total of five of any such lights on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when the vehicle is upon a highway."

Tom

Reply to
mabar

WRONG. Sorry, but you're overloading the circuit and switch - wire em separately with a switch and relay - problem solved.

Reply to
Jeepaholic