Hi-Lift Jack Thread

OK Fellas I'm kinda new to this Jeep stuff, I've had my TJ (X) just over a year & it's running stock wheels & tires Goodyear, Wranglers GS-A's. The only thing I've done to it so far is install a Wilderness rack from Garvin. I've been wanting to replace the stock bumpers with something a little more substantial but I have that old Italian disease (Myfunds-r-low) Anyway on the way home from work yesterday I ran over some junk in the road, (turned out to be a busted up headboard that musta fell offa someone's truck) And somehow it blew a 2 inch hole in the sidewall of my rear tire. Luckily I was only doing about 35 mph cause it went flat right now. The weirdest thing was as soon as I pulled to the side of the road 2 guys form nowhere were at my door & were in the process of helping me change to tire & it's good luck because it wasn't till then that I even thought about the POS bottle jack that comes with the Jeep. One of the good Samaritans had a rollaround hydro jack in his car that I used. It really got me thinking I need to get a real jack for this thing. Now don't slap me in the back of the head but will the stock bumpers hold up to the Hi-Lift jack? They seem kinda cheesy. I've got the rack to bolt it to. Now it looks like I'm going to spend a good part of my Xmas Eve looking for a good price on a new tire.

TIA - George

Reply to
Jersey

for the tires. I love my Goodyear MT/R's

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

No, a high lift jack will 'not' work for changing a tire.

It is properly called a 'Widow Maker' and has no business being anywhere near a Jeep. It is a farm tool that some redneck took in his Jeep and convinced others it was a 'cool' thing to have because they couldn't afford a jack or even a hand winch. It's not. Look ma, I don't need no stinking jack to change a tire and lookee at those fools with winches, the day before they buried him 6' under....

I carry a small hydraulic floor jack like your helper. It fits behind the passenger seat great and I carry a 'come-A-long' cable hand winch.

Mike

Jersey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Those Hi-lift jacks are just a copy of the old (dating myself again) bumper jacks that cars used to have, they worked but more people got injured using them. If you want a different jack the small bottle that came with. try either a small floor jack, a medium bottle jack or something similar.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The last one I was near came within 1/4" of removing half of my face and I was paranoid of them already. Since first seeing one drop back in the

60's I think....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Like everyone else said, the hilift shouldn't be used to change tires. That isn't its intedend use. I have 33's and a 4" lift and I'm fairly certain my stock bottle jack will still assist me in changing a tire.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

isn't its intedend

will still assist me

Thanx for the input, guess I'll dig around the garage. I'm sure I have an old scissor & a couple good size bottle jacks out there.

L8r - George

Reply to
Jersey

It works great on my 35" tires and it even works on 37" tires. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Let me say, though, of all the stories of when someone was using the hilift as it was intended, but was maimed/killed/almost xxx, it seems there were extra circumstances. 1) The most common is: I was distracted.. or I took my hand off the handle for just a minute... or I turned to do this... seems to me if they had been focused on the task at hand and handling the jack, that wouldn't have happened. 2) The condition of the jack was never clear. Was it mounted on the outside of the vehicle and exposed to the elements all the time? Was it really old? and 3) How experienced was the user?

You can bet I won't take my eyes/hands/focus off the jack for a second while I'm using it. If I am in a situation that I had to, then I'll wait for someone else to handle what would require my attention. I also will only mount my jack inside the cab (behind the rollbars). That will keep the elements off it. If I'm going to have the top down, I'll put it in a bag. Also, I can guarantee I won't use this without learning how to use it properly first. I'll definitely get some experienced people to give me a hand if/when I use it the first couple of times.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now... ;-)

HAPPY HO-HO TO EVERYONE!!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Easy to say but there's no gaurantee of this. Say you've lifted the Jeep and are focusing intently on the operation. Your Jeep is in a precarious situation on the rocks and the strain on the suspension causes one of the springs to break ...or even just to make a loud & sudden noise ...your body will reflexively not only look but your hands and body will probably move somewhat. Now your attention is diverted and you may have momentarily let go of the Jack in the middle of a crank ...

Even taking that situation a little furthur ...if a spring or something did break and the Jeep shifted, that could cause just as much of a problem (if not worse) and wouldn't be the operators fault at all. However you look at it, the Hilift is a potentially very dangerous tool and the operator and all bystanders should be well aware of these risks and not assume for a second that they are 100% safe.

Reply to
griffin

Ya know come to think, I'm old enough to remember when that was the (standard) type of jack that came with all cars & trucks & they did the job but I also remember wondering if the thing was going to go flying or slip out from under the car. Also it's real easy to get caught up in the moment while changing a flat (or getting yourself outa a swamp-hole which may just be the case down here in Florida) but you do get caught up & find your self doing things that you wouldn't normally do. To get my Jeep's blowout changed the other day we did a couple things that weren't very safe & I remember that I even commented that "I was sure OSHA wouldn't approve of this." But when your on the side of the road & traffic is flying by & your half on the road, half off or close to a ditch, sand all over & pieces of tires, nut, bolts, broken bottles, beer cans & other assorted roadside trash you're not thinking safety so much as you might be thinking what's the quickest way to get this tire changed & get the hell outa here. I guess there's always AAA..........................

Happy Holidays Ya'll - George

isn't its intedend

will still assist me

Reply to
Jersey

The last 2 I saw do bad things were new. One went insane when up and not attended, (guy had to let go to hook up a chain) that one almost removed the side of my face and the other one just dropped 18" almost taking the gent's foot and finger off.

A buddy's dad worked for the railroad and he showed/taught us about those things back in the 60's. He was good and showed us all the ways they can screw up before letting us near one.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That POS bottle jack is the best tool for changing a flat tire. A HiLift is poorly suited for that operation.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

half off or close

cans & other

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

SIDS victim, cleaned ½ cup cooking oil Carrots onions broccoli whole cabbage fresh green beans potato turnip celery tomato ½ stick butter

1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Remove as much meat as possible, cube, and brown in hot oil. Add a little water, season, then add the carcass. Simmer for half an hour keeping the stock thick. Remove the carcass and add the vegetables slowly to the stock, so that it remains boiling the whole time. Cover the pot and simmer till vegetables are tender (2 hours approximately). Continue seasoning to taste. Before serving, add butter and pasta, serve piping with hot bread and butter.

Offspring Rolls

Similar to Vietnamese style fried rolls, they have lots of meat (of course this can consist of chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp). Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a d

Reply to
Mike Romain

parmesan, 1cup romano Seasoned bread crumbs mixed with parmesan romano salt pepper oregano garlic powder chopped parsley Flour eggwash (eggs and milk) Peanut oil for frying.

Pound the cutlets. Dredge in flour, eggs, then the bread crumb mixture. Fry till golden brown in 350° peanut oil. In a baking pan, place a layer of gravy, then one of meat, gravy, and cheese. Another layer each of meat, gravy, and cheese. Then bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Serve on hot pasta with romano cheese.

Southern Fried Small-fry

Tastes like fried chicken, which works just as well. In fact you may want to practice cutting up whole chickens for frying before you go for the real thing. Whole chicken is much more efficient and inexpensive than buying pieces.

1 tiny human, cut into pieces 2 cups flour Onion, garlic Salt pepper garlic powder cayenne pepper hot sauce, etc. Oil for frying

Mix milk, eggs, hot sauce in a bowl, add chopped onion and garlic. Season the meat liberally, and marinate for several hours. Place seasoned flour in a paper or plastic shopping bag, drop pieces in a few a time, shake to coat thoroughly, then deep fry in hot oil (350°) for about 15 minutes. Drain and place on paper towels.

Miscarriage with Mustard Greens

Why waste it? Otherwise, and in general, use ham or salt pork to season greens. The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables; green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead Large bunch of mustard greens 2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery Vegetable oil (or hog fat) Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

thus it does not have to be thickened. Brown the meat quickly in very hot oil, remove and set aside. Brown the onions, celery, pepper and garlic. De-glaze with wine, return meat to the pan and season well. Stew on low fire adding small amounts of water and seasoning as necessary. After at least half an hour, add the carrots and potatoes, and simmer till root vegetables break with a fork. Cook a fresh pot of long grained white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry; red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index) Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed Onions, bell pepper, celery ½ cup wine Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you will need one for the top also). Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones. Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth. Brown the onions, peppers and celery. Add the meat then season, continue browning. De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth. Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy, reduce oven to 325. Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together then poke holes in top. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup. Its free, you can sell the crib, baby c

Reply to
Jeff Strickland