high idle too long?

hi group, i've had no problemas w /my '91 i6 yj in a long time but there is one thing that has bothered me ever since i noticed this happen

whenever the jeep is started the engine's rpm starts out at some 1800 and then works its way down to about 750 rpm where it belongs. but there are two problemas:

  • for one, it takes a good minute for the rpms to even *begin* lowering and some three mins before the rpms cross the 1000 rpm mark on their way down. ISN'T THIS A BIT TOO LONG?
  • two, this same seemingly prolonged warm-up cycle occurs !every! time i start the jeep; be it on a wintery morning, staring from dead cold or restarting the engine after a five min rest stop, having just driven 100 miles straight WOULD THIS BE NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF JEEP ENGINES? i also have a regular car, a caddy, circa '92, and its engine warm-up time is nowhere near that of the jeep's and there is no warm-up at all restaring a hot engine. why would my jeep be so different?

there are absolutely no other problemas w/ the jeep engine that i know, no codes, normal mpg, etc i made these observations while being parked, just timing how long it takes to get the rpm down under diffrent conditions.

could some1 provide some input, pls? thanx, pete

Reply to
Peter D.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

i will definately check that thanks for the info

| good:

| God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O| mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
| | "Peter D." wrote: | >

| > hi group, | > i've had no problemas w /my '91 i6 yj in a long time but there is one thing | > that has bothered me ever since i noticed this happen | >

| > whenever the jeep is started the engine's rpm starts out at some 1800 and | > then works its way down to about 750 rpm where it belongs. but there are two | > problemas: | > * for one, it takes a good minute for the rpms to even *begin* lowering and | > some three mins before the rpms cross the 1000 rpm mark on their way down. | > ISN'T THIS A BIT TOO LONG? | > * two, this same seemingly prolonged warm-up cycle occurs !every! time i | > start the jeep; be it on a wintery morning, staring from dead cold or | > restarting the engine after a five min rest stop, having just driven 100 | > miles straight | > WOULD THIS BE NORMAL BEHAVIOR OF JEEP ENGINES? | > i also have a regular car, a caddy, circa '92, and its engine warm-up time | > is nowhere near that of the jeep's and there is no warm-up at all restaring | > a hot engine. why would my jeep be so different? | >

| > there are absolutely no other problemas w/ the jeep engine that i know, no | > codes, normal mpg, etc | > i made these observations while being parked, just timing how long it takes | > to get the rpm down under diffrent conditions. | >

| > could some1 provide some input, pls? | > thanx, pete

Reply to
Peter D.

Wow! You have to live somewhere 'really' warm to complain about the choke actually working properly!

Up here in Canada that stupid timer choke is a piece of crap because it drops the idle down before the engine is actually warmed up so you have to 2 foot drive for a while. I even went manual choke so I could drive it easily until it got hot.

It is a timer choke that works strictly by how long it has seen 12 volts to shut off. 'Most' people I know think this is too fast for those big cylinders.

Mike

"Peter D." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain