Hitch?

I installed a Hidden Hitch 2" receiver on my '99. From a web vendor it was less than $150, shipped, including wiring and a drawbar insert. It attached with (6) bolts that were easily threaded through the box frame using the leaders included in the hitch box. The wiring consisted of disconnecting a plug in the wheel well, inserting a "y", and reconnecting.

I *think* the vendor was Hitches4Less.com.

The whole deal took us less than an hour, and that included sips of our beers. A second person is very handy to help hold the hitch in place while the first two bolts go through.

I've put the same brand hitches on (2) Subaru Outbacks, a Caravan, a Nissan truck, and on the front of my TJ. All were equally brainless installations. For peace of mind, I towed something a short distance and rechecked the bolts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light home project and recreational use. What do I need to know before choosing and what brands are recommended?

Thanx, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Get a 2" receiver hitch. Your TJ doesn't need the load capacity usually found in that size hitch but there are all sorts of nice acessories that plug right in: bike rack, tow hook, platform rack, etc.

The aftermarket bumpers often have the 2" reciever > I'm thinking of adding a hitch to my 2001 Wrangler for occasional light

Reply to
RoyJ

Remember that the Wrangler has a pretty light towing capacity, not because of engine/transmission but due to the short wheelbase. If you try to tow something too heavy you may wind up having the "tail wag the dog" as it were (that which you are towing may start shoving your jeep around... really bad/possibly fatal on downhill curves).

If you are going to stay within the capabilities of a Wrangler you won't need more than a class II hitch.

Your local U-Haul sells hitches (and most will also install), also places like this

Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

From what I've noticed class II hitches don't have many things made for them; like tow hooks, bike racks, etc. Class III (2") is more common in the accessories arena. Suggest checking on what all you might want to use it for first. However, the point on towing limits is very important. Never go outside the max printed on the vehicle tag. It's not just dangerous it's deadly dangerous.

Reply to
DougW

Reinforcing the point:

Go with a 2" for usability, but stay within Jeep's weight and size limits for trailers.

Items like 4 bike racks, rear platforms, winches, tire carriers, etc... are often only available with 2" tubes. Smaller bike racks are available in 1 1/4".

Don't ask me how I know how scary stopping a 1500 lb trailer on a wet surface when your TJ has leaky rear drum cylinders (a.k.a. no back brakes) is... The trailer was within the ratings, but the rear brake problem was an unknown.

The only downside of a 2" is many shops won't install it, as their lawyers won't let them. It will have to be installed at home, but it's easy to do.

My last three Wranglers have suffered the rear brake slave cylinder failure at least once.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
twaldron

twaldron wrote in news:wRWee.1570$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

Can you provide a couple of online purchase sources for the "integrated" bumper and receiver?

Reply to
Bob

Explorer Pro-Comp makes a nice "Rock Bumper" with 2 inch reciever. Tough looking and easy to install. I got both front and a back matching bumpers and it really gave me a more stylish/aggresive look than stock. They are powder coated and faily thick-walled. The front will not have holes for your license plate. You will have to drill or maybe your in a state that does not require a front plate?

is where I found them.

bjc

Reply to
brianc