How do can I remove the fan belt from 2000 TJ 4.0L

I want to do a water pump replacement on my 2000 TJ 4.0L.

I hope someone can write a more detail description of the fan belt removal procedure.

The DC service manual is real vague on how to remove the "accessory drive belt" (fan belt) especially for the 4.0L engine.

The manual states the following procedure on page 7-32 cooling system:

BELT REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL Belt tension is adjusted at the power steering pump bracket and idler pulley assembly. (1) Disconnect negative battery cable from the battery. (2) Loosen idler pulley bolt (fig 42). < fig. 42 is of a 2.2L engine >

(3) Loosen tension adjusting bolt (fig 42) and remove accessory drive belt.

INSTALLATION (1) Check condition of all pulleys (2) Install new belt. (Caution for correct routing of serpentine belt). (3) Tighten idler pulley bolt and re-check belt tension. Adjust if necessary.

I'm having trouble finding the tension adjustment bolt at the power steering pump bracket.

With the manual pictures only showing the procedure for the 2.5L engine my ignorance of the correct procedure it stalling the project.

I don't see how loosening the idler pulley bolt (it's between the generator and power steering pump pulley) is going to make the belt slack for easy remove.

I hope someone can write a more detail description of the fan belt removal procedure.

Reply to
Brian Hawke

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I am almost certian you have the same tensioner setup as I have on my

2.5L '98. If so, this is how you loosen the belt to get it off

On the PS pump bracket, there is in idler pulley. Sticking out of the back of the idler pulley is a bolt, perpendicular to the axel of the pulley, this bolt adjusts the tension. This bolt is parallel to a channel in the idler pulley bracket that the pulley moves up and down on to adjust the tension.

First, loosen the bolt in the middle of the pulley, then turn the tension bolt (CCW I think) until the belt is loose enough to slip off. To put the belt back on, first tighten up the tensioner bolt, then tighten the axel bolt to clamp the pulley in place.

-Jim

Reply to
Mood

Which year FSM do you have? The 2000 model year saw a spring-loaded idler pulley/arm which maintained the belt tension, not the old power-steering pump adjustment. It should be located just below the alternator. I had to remove mine to install the Kilby air compressor.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes Bill, in 2000 the tensioner was introduced, I know because I had to remove mine to install the Kilby. The tensioner assembly is still sitting in my garage. If memory serves, you use a wrench to rotate the tension arm enough to remove the belt. Hey, just like the instructions say, go figure. Brian, look at Bill's pdf, but be sure to look at the 4.0L page, not the

2.5L page.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just had mine off my 2000 this weekend. It uses a spring loaded tensioner arm/pulley located on the right front under the alt. (left side as viewed from the front) Insert a 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar in the square hole on the arm and rotate to remove tension from the belt and while holding it, slip the belt off the power steering pump. Let me know if you need more info

VL

Reply to
V L

That's interesting, Bill, but of course we're not talking about a Ford engine... :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually it's not exactly the same, as the alternator on the Triton is directly above the water pump, between the cyl heads, and on the 4.0L the tensioner doubles as the alternator mount. The Triton tensioner is on the passenger side, at least.

But it's still irrelevant since the OP has the Jeep 4.0L engine, not a Ford.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Triton engine compartment is a little too high and tight to try to take the belt off just for you, Bill. :-) Besides, it's getting cold out there.

I can't take the belt off by hand on the TJ anymore. Have to loosen the air compressor bolts and slide it toward the valve cover a bit.

When I took the belt off to install the Kilby (only time I needed to take the belt off up to that point) I was able to easily pull it off. Don't recall if I used a tool to loosen the tensioner or did it by hand.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thank you. With Mr. Hughes .pdf manual diagram (My DC year 2000 $100 manual does not show the diagram of the spring loaded belt tensioner) and your info on what tool to use and where to use it is just the information I needed to begin the water pump replacement job.

V L wrote:

Reply to
Brian Hawke

Reply to
Brian Hawke

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Brian, look at page 7-31 of your manual. It has the belt routing schematic on that page, though it does not have the diagram found on Bill H's illegally ripped pdf pages. :-)

The > Hi Brian,

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo