How do I engage 4 wheel drive in a 1988 Wagoneer

I am trying to purchase a 4 wheel drive 1988 Grand Wagoneer but I don't know how to engage the 4 wheel drive high and low and the owner doesn't know either. It is obviously very important to know if the 4 wheel drive works. Any help you guys can provide would be welcome. Are there any particular weak points that I should know about and look for prior to purchase expecially if it was abused. I know these are pretty basic questions but have pity on me.

Reply to
mcarrari

If this is Quadratrac it is a full time four wheel drive. High-low range was an option in that case. This is a vacuum controlled unit, that is very picky about having the right kind of fluid put in it. If you don't see a switch or a lever it might not have low range. There may be an owner's manual in the glove compartment, you never know.

The Full Size Jeep Association web site might have useful information too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Tell us what you have by the fifth number in it's VIN:

I sounds to me like the sellermay be covering for a failed full-time viscous coupler:
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Earl,

I didn't mention, but there is a dash mounted switch for 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive and a floor mounted lever for low 4 and high 4. When I switched the dash mounted switch to 4 wheel and lifted the lever to 4 low I don't detect any discernible difference. Am I supposed to be stopped and put the transmission in neutral and then lift the lever for 4 low? Boy o boy am I confused.

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
Michael

Heh, if you're confused now how are you supposed to take care of it after you buy it? Plenty of Suburbans and Tahoes on the used car lots. I got a nice three quarter ton a few years ago with an Owner's Manual that shows how to shift into and out of four wheel drive, in case I forget.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

In article , wrote: #I am trying to purchase a 4 wheel drive 1988 Grand Wagoneer but I #don't know how to engage the 4 wheel drive high and low and the owner #doesn't know either. It is obviously very important to know if the 4 #wheel drive works. Any help you guys can provide would be welcome. Are #there any particular weak points that I should know about and look for #prior to purchase expecially if it was abused. I know these are pretty #basic questions but have pity on me. #

Are you a AAA member? AAA has auto diag clinics that run several tests on the car to see what's wrong with it.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong