How do I get this tie rod end off?

My TJ's been making a lot of noises when steering lately. To the point I could hold my cell phone out the window and the person on the other end could hear the grinding.

After much checking, it seemed that the tie rod end at the drag link was the culprit. To be honest, I can't seem to finger it, but a buddy of mine crawled under there and swore that was the one. If it were left to me, I'd probably have to replace all of the ones on the passenger side.

Anyhow, getting it out of the drag link just took a minute. Piece of cake. Loosened the retainer. Again, easy stuff. The problem is getting it out of the tie rod. I've got a pretty long pipe-wrench on the tie rod end and can't get it to come loose. Seems like the end is stuck in the tie rod. After playing around with the end itself, I just can't see how that's making the noise, though. I put it back (since I can't get it out!) and wonder if the noise isn't another ball joint. I think it could be the joint at the top of the knuckle (the part the caliper attaches to). I know if you shoot grease into that zerk it comes right out of the dust boot.

Any thoughts? How do you get a tie rod end out when it's stuck like that? Honestly, this could be a lack-of-muscle issue, but I had good leverage.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Soak the threaded tie-rod end with a penetrant like PB-Blaster, Break-Free, or Liquid Wrench. Spray it a few times and let it soak in overnight, then see if you can't unscrew it. A pipe wrench is ideal but just a big set of waterpump (big) pliers will do it too. These kinds of parts are often stuck together so if you get it apart, be sure to apply a dab of antiseize compound on the tie rod threads before reassembly it. Are you sure the grinding isn't a bad u-joint or perhaps a bad hub?

Jerry

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

No, I'm not sure. That's just it. I don't see how a Ujoint would be grinding when sitting still and turning the wheel, though. As a matter of fact, you can make it grind just a bit by trying to turn the wheel with the engine off (obviously it only twists more than turns without the power on...). It'll grind just a bit then, too.

And as for hub... I'm not sure what you're talking about. When I hear hub, I think of the old locking hubs. I know TJs don't have those. Again, what would that have to do with turning the tires while sitting still?

Reply to
Eric

By the way, I don't see my original post... don't know how you can!

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On the matter of the drag link, it does not come apart. You have to buy the whole $120.00 or so part.

They don't 'grind' when bad, the steering wheel just flops loose side to side.

You can make a grinding noise with the engine off and stopped and rocking the steering wheel?

Have you check the power steering fluid?

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the tips, Bill.

I haven't been very clear about a few things.

  1. The noise is while the vehicle is NOT MOVING. Just sitting in my driveway, turning the wheel left and right.
  2. I got the tie rod end out of the drag link. That was easy. I found using two hammers and smacking the drag link on either side was enough to loosen it up. All it needed then was a tap on the end to get out. However, getting the tie rod end out of the TIE ROD is another issue altogether.

Axle ujoints?!? Where the heck are those?

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

YES!! That's the problem!! More obvious when the motor is running, as I can turn the wheel further (33x12.50 MTs don't turn to easily without power assist!)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

By the way, Bill, the pic with the puller... kinda scary. Looks way too much like my TJ. Has the rancho stabilizer, Teraflex quick discos, BFG Muds... wierd... someone from the UK been under there snapping pics? ;-)

Reply to
Eric

Well besides the pump itself there are u-joints at the ends of the front axles right behind the wheel. To make a noise when not spinning they would have to be seriously seized. You can cut the wheels to the side and inspect them. If they are flopping or show tons of rust... Well I guess you could just get down there and listen while someone else turns the wheel...

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have been down there and just can't pinpoint it. The first couple of times I thought it was the balljoint at the top of the (knuckle? Ujoint?) at the end of the axle behind the wheel. That one leaks grease if you squirt even a little in it. Doesn't look too easy to replace... but, man, I HATE to take it to a shop when I don't know what the problem is. Leaves me wide open to be ripped off -- and it might be something I could do myself!

I had someone else get under there while I turned the wheel, and that's when they said tie rod end. Either way, the sound seems to be coming from the passenger side, but you can hear it loud and clear while in the driver's seat.

I will say that my pump has been a bit noisy lately. Has plenty of fluid and isn't leaking. Just been a bit... whinier.. than normal. Nothing obnoxious.

Reply to
Eric

I snagged this pic from another site (sorry if the owner reads this -- just trying to post a quick pic).

The top one seems to be making the noise, and the dust boot is shot. Any grease at all and it comes right back out. Seems collapsed, actually.

Eric

BTW -- just found a pic of the ujoints. Can't imagine those are making the noise...

Reply to
Eric

Ok, so if you stand up front and look at the front wheels, do either one of them tilt in or out at the top or bottom?

If so, you could have a dead ball joint. You will need to jack the weight off the wheel and pry with a bar to see if you can get any movement in it.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Nope.. caster/camber (can't remember which) is good. I'll jack it up and check to see if I can get movement.

Are the tierod and drag link supposed to twist? I can grab it and twist it (imagine a motorcycle throttle) quite a bit.

Reply to
Eric

if the tie rod and drag link are loose, then the bolts on the ends of them are loose. Those bolts should be tightened so that they don't turn. Not sure what to torque them to, but I'm sure someone here knows. 45 lb/ft. comes to mind. The tie rod bolts are 13mm and the drag links are 15mm.

The tie rod affects the toe-in and the drag link affects the steering wheel alignment and if turned too far will limit how far your wheel turns the tires.

Reply to
Dennis Cox

The tie rod and drag links will twist to the movement limits of the ball and socket joints. If the tube twists more, it needs to be tightened.

You need to watch out for up and down movement more than the twist.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

ok...you guys are talking about using some good force to get these things off...I'll admit I didn't research it...but bear with me! If it's so hard to get off...how do you get it on?!

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

OK -- the tube doesn't twist past the limits of the socket joints. Haven't had a chance to jack it up and check for that movement yet. Things have been rather nuts. I'll get to it this weekend for sure.

Reply to
Eric